lower unit shaft extension?

truck

Cadet
I recently bought a 1984 9.8 mercury long shaft. the origional owner bought a second 9.8, a short shaft, and did a engine swap. He later destroyed the gears in the lower unit. I bought it from him as a project. He gave me the lower unit from the other 9.8, but because it is a short shaft, the shafts won't reach the engine and shifter. is there a kit I can buy to lengthen the shafts, or do I need to get a different lower unit?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: lower unit shaft extension?

Are you trying to make two long shaft motors? If so, it's not viable from a cost standpoint, after you rebuild the bad LU, add a long drive shaft, shift shaft, water tube, intermediate piece ... you get the point. A lot of parts, labor for a motor not worth too much.

truck

Cadet

No, Just repairing the one longshaft. when I bought the long shaft, it came with the lower unit from the motor he took the power head from. He told me the lower unit on the motor was shot and the other one would fit. But when I put the bad LU next to the good one, I relised he gave me a lower unit from a short shaft.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Move the drive shaft and shift shaft to the good LU.