Lower unit reseal cost 6hp evinrude

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone so I have a 1974 evinrude 6hp that just started to begin leaking. When I went to check the gear oil it definitely looks like there is water in it. I used brand new drain plug seals last time I changed it as I always do. I haven’t pressure tested but it’s definitely leaking somewhere probably shift rod seal. How much would a shop that charges $100/ hour to reseal the lower unit. I have a seal kit and impeller kit already I will be supplying. Labor wise what are we looking at?

Attachments

• 7CD5ED8C-9B2D-41FF-A01E-D16B15A95DCB.jpeg
    7CD5ED8C-9B2D-41FF-A01E-D16B15A95DCB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is not a hard job to do.------U-tube videos will help you.-------Shop might charge you 2 hrs.-----Or visit ----leroysramblings ------for instructions.-----The bushing for shift rod o-ring can be replaced without removing the bushing.-----Or run a 5/16-NC tap in there for 3 threads and pull it out.-----Make sure you inspect bushing above the pinion gear.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if you are not adventurous and do not want to do the reseal ...some folks just change the oil mid season.and end of eason before storage.

using some soapy water....
if you pump some air (10-15psi) into the empty GC you will likely see bubbles around the prop shaft where the prop shaft seal was damaged by multi wraps of mon line :-( did you pull the prop to check and remove any mono)