lower unit rebuild

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice
I just got done replacing all my seals and I'm now trying to get the skeg all bolted up. Things will not align properly to allow the skeg to mate with the other surface. Looking at my parts diagram, it seems that I don't have the spring that rests against the shift rod. I found one in my scrap pile, but I know for a fact I didn't take one off. What does this spring do? and is it impacting my ability to reassemble the lower unit?

Johnson seahorse 10 (QD-19)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: lower unit rebuild

What spring are you talking about? I don't see one on the parts diagram on the shifter?

What usually happens is part #45, the front bearing is not sitting properly over the pin that it below it. It is critical that this pin is lined up with the groove in the bearing to get proper lubrication to the back of a bearing. I had a 18hp LU sieze up 2 weeks ago as the previous person to take it apart did not line it up. This is usually the problem.

Or did you replace any parts other than the seals? The QD19 LU's are famous for failing due to being undersized for the LU size. I have several QD19's in my shed with no Lu's on em.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

I'm glad I posted this. I'll get more specific about the part number I'm talking about tomorrow, I left my parts diagram in my work shop. All I have done is replace the seals. The gears and clutch dog look NEW. This motor wasn't used very much. Twice a year for 20 years then the engine blew a rod and it sat in my grandparents basement for the next 30 or so. I got my hands on it and rebuilt the power head. Runs great...but that's when I found out the lower unit seals were sucking in water. I've built plenty of engines before...i'm new to the lower unit.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow, that's rare. Usually the LU fails. I never hear of a QD powerhead failing. Here's a pic of the LU.

Attachments

• 1958 QD19 LU.jpg
    1958 QD19 LU.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0

great challenge

Recruit

hey there,i'm new at this,just joined today,so i want to say thank you in advance for any help i may receive,if i was supposed to start a new thread im sorry and will do so. i just got a 20hp johnson 1973 and went out on the lake with it,it ran great with lots of power,then the 2nd. time i went out the motor sort of slipped a bit at high speed so i came back and docked it thinking water was getting in the lu,then for some reason i took my mom out for a cruise(a little further then i should have) and had to hold the shift lever in forward just to make it back to the dock.i changed the o ring at the prop and 2 new filler screws and new oil.the motor works great in reverse by in forward the shift lever just rattles,unless i hold the lever in the forward position.any images or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks again

lindy46

Captain

Yes, you should start a new thread, but anyway, first check the shift rod linkage. There is a small oval plate on the side of the leg. It is held on by 2 screws. Remove that plate and unerneath you'll see the shift rod coupler - connects the lower and upper shift rods. Make sure both rods are firmly mounted in the coupler. They're held in place by two bolts which pass through a recess in the ends of the shift rods. Watch the mechanism as you shift gears - should move up and down smoothly with no slippage. If that's ok, then you probably have a worn clutch dog in the gearcase, which is a much more complicated and expensive fix.

great challenge

Recruit

ok, i will definately start a new thread next time. thanks for the info,i will check the shift rod link and keep my fingers crossed.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

At the same time check to see if the through bolt where the shift handle is came loose, it's not uncommon for them to become loose after years of usage. If it did post back and i'll try and explain how to fix it.

If all is well there and you check the linkage and all is well, clutch dog and forward gear are next suspect.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I just got done replacing all my seals and I'm now trying to get the skeg all bolted up. Things will not align properly to allow the skeg to mate with the other surface. Looking at my parts diagram, it seems that I don't have the spring that rests against the shift rod. I found one in my scrap pile, but I know for a fact I didn't take one off. What does this spring do? and is it impacting my ability to reassemble the lower unit?

Johnson seahorse 10 (QD-19)

You are talking about #30 & 31 on the parts diagram, yes they are springs, 2 of them are screwed into the gearcase housing, they are detent springs for the shift rod- they provide the "click" so to speak when you put it into gear. You should still be able to assemble without them but I wouldn't as you will lose this "positive" shift feeling once assembled. Either the pin that Steve is talking about it causing the issue or the alignment of the lever into the shift cradle into the clutch dog.

Page 12

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377513/37751300001.htm

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Funny thing is...this lower unit has NEVER been taken apart. I know this for a fact. So its missing the spring from the factory. I took it appart slowly and bagged everything into ziplocks no way I could have lost it. Thanks for the replies, I'll put them to use in a few days when I'm feeling better. I caught some sort of bug.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Well I just couldn't lay in bed. I had to mess with it. I got it all put together! Yes, it was that pin that was in the way. Looking out for that it went together in 10 minutes. haha Everything is spinning freely and it shifts into gear by hand. Tomorrow I'll throw it on the good ol' 10 and hopefully it doesn't blow up.

Thanks again guys