Lower unit rebuild questions

BigBassin78

Seaman
I have recently bent my prop shaft from a submerged strike. I bought a 91 E150EXEIS unit to swap with my 95 J150GLEOM.

First question is:

1 Is there any reason why these would not be able to swap parts between them?. Some parts that look identical have different part numbers in the explosion graphic on boats do t n et. Besides the upper drive shaft length they both look identical

2 Can I switch the upper drive shaft and shift rod, because that is the only thing stopping me from bolting this unit on to my motor.

3 Can I switch the upper shaft without pulling the prop shaft and gears out?

4 what are the chances that any shaft shimming will need to be done if i just replace the upper drive shaft.

thank you all for any help that you can provide!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit rebuild questions

Why don't you just check out the L/U's on shop.evinrude.com and compare. They have good parts diagrams.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

the only difference between the 2 is the pinion gears & the forward gears , they just have to be changed to what ever forward gear you gonna use so they mach as a pair

BigBassin78

Seaman

ok, that leads to this question. can I still use the lower drive shaft on my original 95 and just screw on the 91 pinion gear? My plan was just to swap the upper drive shaft and shift rod. But if that cant be done then I will just be swapping out the whole prop shaft and gears section from the 91 to the 95.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Why don't you just have the bent shaft straightened ?? Most machine shops can do it.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

the prop drive shafts are different due to different gear housings just swop the gears over