lower unit plug

kannuki

Seaman
i have a 1987 force 125 and am having trouble geting the lower unit plug out. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit plug

Impact screw driver maybe.<br />Some have said that brake fluid works great as a penetrating oil. ??<br /><br />A LITTLE heat, like from a cigarette lighter.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on wrapping the drain plug with teflon tape before reinstalling.

jrlogan11

Seaman

As long as the drain plug gasket ring is in good shape, teflon tape shouldn't be a problem, and will likely help insure a good seal.<br /><br />The best anti-seize agent I have found for loosening bolts is 'PB blaster'. I've also heard mechanics swear by it as well. It is a magnetic fluid and supposedly can 'pull' itself into the threads. Whatever, it really does work.<br /><br />I would take the lower unit off and orient it so the drain screw is facing upward and then spray some PB blaster and let it sit overnight. With any luck in the morning it will come right out.<br />Good luck!

kannuki

Seaman

is the plug supposed to be a heax head or not mine is. am i removing the right thing?

jrlogan11

Seaman

Yeah, some have hex head screws at the bottom for draining, and have two regular screws at the top, one for vent and one for fill. Do NOT take out the lower regular screw (near the hex head), because this is your shift pin screw, not a drain screw.

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem with mine. It had a head that accepted a flat-head screwdriver. Not the best for leverage. I took a smaller flat-head and pointed it to the left at the top of the groove, smacked it with a hammer, came right out.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I have a set of Craftsman hex heads that fit into one of the sockets. I use the ratchet to turn the hex screw. This works a lot better than using a regular hex key to take it out.<br /><br />Don't strip it.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stripped my hex head drain plug and had to take it to a machine shop. All they could do was knock it through and re-tap.<br /><br />Here is my dilema-<br /><br />The machine shop says I need to get the piece they knocked through out.<br /><br />I flushed the gearcase several times with no luck of that thing coming out.<br /><br />I got a little upset and said forget it and put the lower unit back on.<br /><br />I have run the motor several times in the driveway on muffs while in gear.<br /><br />No noise at all.....<br /><br />The make a long story short - I bought another lower unit off e-bay. Haven't put it on yet, because I need a seal kit and new waterpump.<br /><br />Anyway - after looking at the unit I bought on e-bay without the gearcase cover on I do not see anyway that the old plug that was knocked through could get into the gears. <br /><br />It appears there are 2 cavities in the gearcase and from the looks of it mine is probably just sitting at the bottom and to large to fit through the hole.<br /><br />Should I just use my old lower unit already installed on the boat with a piece of drain plug in the gearcase or try and disassemle?<br /><br />I am not a super mechanic, but have read the manual and am a bit frightened when it comes to gear shimming and other stuff a little advanced for my skills.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you have to worry about gear shimming etc. if you're using the same parts to rebuild. I took apart my Chrysler LU last week and put it back together with no problems. If you do it, change your shift seal, driveshaft seal and and propshaft seal.