Lower unit on a Alph 1 Full of water is the Uper ok?

balbarracin

Cadet
I Have a 1990 Model Sea Ray 18' with a 4.3L mercrusier Motor and an Alpha 1 Out Drive. While running up the river last weekend I lost all power (Motor shut down). When I cranked it back up I could not get it to go into forward or reverse. After being towed back in and getting the boat back to my shop I found out that my drive was full of not oil but water. The lower unit was shoot (shaft sheered off and the bearings under the water pump broken to pieces. My question is the upper unit looks ok and turns freely. I opened up the inspection plate and all of the gears are free spinning. Could there be any damage I am not seeing? <br /><br />Any Feedback would be great.<br />Thanks

kponhlo

Cadet
Re: Lower unit on a Alph 1 Full of water is the Uper ok?

Well, my boat experience to date is on OMC, but...I'd turn the upper real slow and feel how smooth it is. If it rotates with a jerky movement (like there was bits of sand in it) or makes grating noises then that isn't a good sign...it means your bearings have seen better days. I'd also check the oil in the upper (assuming its 2-pcs like OMC) and make sure there's no water and/or metal chunks in it. I hope it turns smooth and all is ok...

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a little water in my alpha 1 a couple of years ago.. It must have been in there long enough to cause rust on the upper bearings,had to replace them + u-joint, the lower end was o.k.. I'm sure Bondo will chime in .<br /><br /> Jim

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The U- joint bellows are probably shot, water fills it and destroys the yoke seal. Then the drive fills with water. Upper & lower are connected, So you had water in both no matter where it came from. At the very least it should be disassembled and re-sealed. J

Bondo

Staff member

So you had water in both no matter where it came from. At the very least it should be disassembled and re-sealed.
No Doubt.............<br />All the Chunks,+ Bits of the Lower has Already run through the Upper Too...................<br />I'm Betting the Tech will find More Damage.......... :( <br /><br />You might want to check out the aftermarket drives here at iboats.............

DHPMARINE

Captain

I would have to pull down the whole drive and decide.Water in the drive is water in the drive.The oil is connected.And the same resevoir.<br />DHP

balbarracin

Cadet

I did notice that were the brass fitting for the shifting goes in to the lower unit is lose. Is there a gasket or is the piece supposed to fit tight.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The intermediate shift shaft is normally loose. That's the brass one you noticed.