lower unit oil *Warning* NEWBIE question follows

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask a "newbie" question. I just recently picked up my first outboard. It is a Johnson 20 HP. Model number FD-20C. Can anyone tell me how to check the gear oil in the lower unit? I have absolutely no idea on how to do this. I want to make sure that I don't run it with an empty gear case as I am pretty sure that it woudn't be shipped with the gear oil in it. Also is there anything else that I should check before I try to start it?

bubbakat

Captain
Re: lower unit oil *Warning* NEWBIE question follows

There will be two screws located on the bottom of the lower unit.<br />one will be below the gear box and one in-between the gear box and cavation plate . The top one is for checking the amount and bottom is for draining or filling. These screws should require a flathead or as called a common screwdriver to remove.<br />I noticed that you unit is a older model so there will possible be another screw located somewhere close to the bottom of the skag it should be phillips head do not remove it for it holds your gear shifter in place.<br />If it needs oil fill it from the bottom until it comes out the top.<br />If this is not possible with you then fill from the top but let it set awhile so the trapped air can get out.<br />Be sure and replace the little round gaskets under each screw.<br />If you pump it in from the bottom when done just replace the top screw and it will no leak much oil out when you replace the bottom one.

Next thing. When you say to fill from the bottom does the outboard have to be standing on end? or will simply tilting the motor horizontal work?<br /><br /><br />TIA (another one of those danged acronyms...LOL)<br /><br />Patrick

Paul Moir

Admiral

The motor must be in it's normal running position, which is to say vertical or upright. This is so that the correct amount of air is trapped in the top of the gearcase. The air is necessary to allow for the expansion of the oil when it heats up.<br /><br />I hope that answers your question!

one thing I forgot to add, a trip to the local boat dealer was an education in itself. The guy behind the parts counter was about as knowledgable as a box of hammers about lower unit oil. I ended up getting "Evinrude Johnson Premium Blend Gearcase Lube" the other choices were warning me not to use them on an outboard that was made before 1972 because of electric shift lower gearcases. This sound about right to you?

bubbakat

Captain

Does you motor have the manuel gear selection or is it automatic.<br />If it has the little phillips screw on the bottom of the skag it should be manuel shift.<br />Here is a link that will give you some info on your motor.<br /> http://mitglied.lycos.de/old_omc/j_1966/seite_11.jpg

Paul Moir

Admiral

Just to add to what bubbakat said, there was no electric shift offered on the 20hp, ever. "Johnson/Evinrude Premium Blend Gearcase Lube" must be used on electric shift outboards, but this doesn't apply to you.<br /><br />Although at times in the past OMC suggested "Johnson/Evinrude Premium Blend Gearcase Lube" could be used on manual gearshifts, I belive they recinded the recomendation when manual gearcases started wearing prematurely. You should use regular outboard gearcase oil, which is much heavier. It is a SAE 90W API-5 rated oil, and is available from wallyworld, etc. OMC's name for it was "HiVis".<br />These old single-seal gearcases really need the 90W. Some outboard gearcase oils are now 75W - don't use them.<br /><br />I hope I haven't made this more confusing!

bubbakat

Captain

No paul, you put into words what I was thinking.<br />Wally world offers it in 85 /90 which is what I use.<br />They also offer it in full synthetic to.<br />BTW patrick it will take a little less the a quart to fill it.