Lower Unit Oil Change In Water

potis

Recruit
This may be a very stupid question, but I have to ask it...

I have an old houseboat with a -79 Johnson Seahorse 70 on it. Is there any way to change the lower unit oil while it is still in the water? Only thing I can think of is to remove the entire lower unit (without dropping into the drink!), change the oil and then reinstall it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower Unit Oil Change In Water

nearly impossible to do, unless you can get the stern in shallow water. reinstalling you have to line up water tube, and shift linkage. can't see it if it under water.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Cant you tilt the engine so that the LU is out of the water? You might not get it fulley drained that way but you would get most of it.

Or, if you are in a tidal area, back it up on shore at high tide and then change the oil at low tide and then pull it off at high tide again.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bad idea in my opinion. Get it somewhere dry.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I wound not try it either...but if you installed a "jack plate" to lift the motor straight up out of the water...it may be doable with great success! That's the only way I would even think of doing it! Jack plates are common, but it would be an additional initial expense. Maybe worth it in the long run if can justify the expense.

MAS

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The motor has to be vertical (not tilted) to refill the oil to proper level. I have R&R's lower units while in the water, but only because of no other option. Not recommended.

jonesg

Admiral

Rent an engine hoist, use a sheet of plywood for wheels to roll on , assemble hoist on deck, lift engine, pull it on deck and do the deed, lower engine back into place.
Costs about $30-40 max to rent for a day.

Make sure you can loosen the oil drain screws first.