lower unit o-rings

lmoreau

Seaman
Over the course of say 2 years, if the o-rings were not put back on the lower unit fill screws, how much water would probably be in the LU? Boat is not docked in water; when boat is in the water, it's in for ~8hrs at a time. <br /><br />Would the amount of water that would enter via the fill screws sans the o-ring enough that the entire LU oil would be milky? What are the sizes of those o-rings so I can buy replacements?<br /><br />I just thought I had gotten my problems fixed, now this!! GRRRR.<br /><br />Thanks guys!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: lower unit o-rings

Sudden temeprature changes will cause internal pressure or vacuum relative to outside air and push lube or draw water respecitively. So even if exposure is limited, going from hot air to cool water can do a lot in a short amount of time. I don't know the sizes, but you can get them at any Merc dealer. They're not at all expensive. Get two pairs, one for the future ziptied under the hood somewhere along with a spare fuse or two.

Laddies

Banned

Lee, they are not o rings but flat gaskets, if you don't have a pressure tester available to you, you can get a idea if the seals in the unit are holding by venting the unit in cold temperture and when the temp warms there should be pressure in the unit when you vent the top screw, not very accurute, but we have all be spit at that way--Bob

lmoreau

Seaman

Thanks guys...I'll get those gaskets. The unit was re-sealed following a propshaft replacement like 5-7 years ago, so I would hope that the seals are not leaking, just water getting into the fill and vent screws...I don't see how that much water could get in through those tightend ungasketed screws, but they are there for a reason, I guess!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

They used an O-ring plug for a few years. But they phased those out almost as quickly as they phased them in. The gaskets are made of a better material now and they're orange so you can see if they're in the hole better. I believe the O-rings are just O-rings.