Lower unit not shifting

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mercruiser type 1 with 350. After my first startup and oil change for the year.<br /><br />Shifting into forward and reverse does not yeild any motion of the prop.<br /><br />I checked the linkage and it seems ok. The tab is moving properly from forard to 90degrees when going from forward to reverse.<br /><br />This could also be related to the fact that water came out of the lower unit drain plug when I changed the oil. I'm thinking the lower unit may be rusted out.<br /><br />Is my lower unit totalled? What would cause it not to go into gear? Is it a friction problem?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any input<br /><br />Matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower unit not shifting

This could also be related to the fact that water came out of the lower unit drain plug when I changed the oil. I'm thinking the lower unit may be rusted out.
Absolutly. Salt water makes a very poor lubricant.<br /><br />
Is my lower unit totalled?
Probably<br /><br />
What would cause it not to go into gear?
Serious amount of rust on bearings, shafts and gears.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I sprayed it full of rust remover and wd-40 in an effort to break it loose, but i'm imagining that it is destroyed. <br /><br />I guess i need to start looking for a rebuilt or used lower unit sigh :(

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

tab?? you mean the shift shoe .exactly how much water came out and was it rusty water?<br />if frozen and you broke a shaft while starting would be no shifting.if not frozen should be noisey and make a racket.

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by slow_boy:<br /> ...my first ... oil change for the year...<br />
Matt.... you mean the water came out of the oil last year when you put her up for the winter??? or just now this spring?<br /><br />I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that this fall would be the best time to change your drive lube to be sure it's good and clean, refill it and store it with fresh lube this winter.<br /><br />I would pull the bottom unit off and see if you can spin anything.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

check the splines on your shift rods with the drive removed. salt water is bad IN a drive.