Lower unit lube

I did a search, but couldnt find a specific answer to my question. I have a 88 4.3L omc cobra. I want to change my lower unit oil. My manual calls for Hi vis omc lubricant. I was just wondering if I can get away with anything that walmart or a local parts store sells. I picked up the penzoil pump kit walmart sells.. can I use this? Any recomendations? Thanks

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lower unit lube

WalMart sells Lubrimatic, which is a good choice. As long as the lube is rated for stern drive use, it's fine. Just make sure you fill the drive from the MIDDLE hole or you will destroy your lower unit. Not the top or bottom, the MIDDLE.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Hi vis is a different weight.It's more of a 70=80 weight. The stuff Wally sells is 90.Go to an OMC dealer Jerry

chiefalen

Captain

Anything with a picture of a boat on it. Ain't getting dragged into another lube, oil, discussion.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Anything with a picture of a boat on it..

You don't have to do that. Go to the auto parts store and buy Mobil 1 75w90. It is a GL-5 synthetic and will be perfect for your drive. You will probably need 3 of these. It still isn't cheap. Around $11/qt.
image.php

Skyhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Wow.. $11 a quart? How many quarts do I need?

If I'm not mistaken the cobra 800 unit takes approx. 68 oz. and like others stated make sure you fill from the middle hole so you avoid air trapped in there. Also, when checking the oil after you fill check it w/ the dipstick not thread into the hole, just set it on top of the hole. This allows a buffer for any trapped air and is per the OMC service manual.

Not to be a wise guy, but if u need to ask u need a manuel.

I HAVE A MANUAL. I AM AT WORK, MANUAL IS AT HOME. WANTED TO PICK UP THE LUBE ON MY WAY HOME.

Oh.. and in case you guys do use the mobil 1 mentioned above. I just picked up 6 quarts of it. Its on sale this week at Advance Auto for $6.75 a qt.