Lower unit lube question

DCHOPPERZ1

Cadet
I am changing my l/u oil today as part of my yearly maintaince. Let it drain and headed to the local OMC dealer. They closed early today. My luck. Anyway the question is has anyone ever used the off brand l/u oil from Walmart? I think its called lubramatic or something like that. Thats about my only choice because we are headed out in the morning for a day in the bay. I have always used the OMC oil but now i am in a bind. It would only be until next week when i can change it again with the OMC oil. Any input is appreciated. Motor is an 87 110 hp.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit lube question

hello<br /> on that motor the lubrimatic will be fine. on the big v6's I would rather see a heavier duty oil but no worries with a v-4.<br />my worry is if you dont have new gaskets or orings for the fill/drain plugs :)

DCHOPPERZ1

Cadet

I have new ones. I bought several a few yrs ago. Thanks for the quick reply.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Been using it for years.<br />Not off brand, just not manufacturer branded.<br />Probably the most widely distributed oils for marine use. both lower unit and tcw3. Sold at almost every hardware store and marine supply store there is.<br /><br />They also make greases and oils for just about every application there is. You would be suprised at who's labels are put on their products.

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1982 75hp Johnny and I had to make the same choice, Wally world brands or wait for OMC. I went with Castrol Synthetic gear lube 75-90w. I periodically check and it seemed not to turn grey as fast as OMC??? I have used Lubrimatic in my Johnny 9.5 and it did everything that I hoped for. Good fishing with your choice and remember to change the nylon washers on the fill and drain plugs every time lube is changed.

DCHOPPERZ1

Cadet

Thanks for all the input. I did visit Walmart and picked up some Pennzoil lower unit oil.They were out of the other stuff. I will run this and see how it does for now.