Lower Unit Lube Change 2004 OB

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2004 60 ELPTO that I just acquired with a boat purchased last weekend. Before taking it out on it's maiden voyage, I want to change the lower unit lube (the previous owner suggested this since the boat sat since last Oct and it was due).

Is there an online guide of how to do this, or what to look for? I am mechanically inclined and have plenty of tools at my disposal, but am no marine mechanic. I'm sure it's an easy process, can someone lead me in direction? I wouldn't even know what kind of lube to get.... :rolleyes:

The motor runs fantastically, very low hours...I want to keep it in tip-top shape. My next plan of action after this is to drain the 10 gallons of gas in the 12 gallon tank....which is also from October....hope it's not a PITA :eek:

dadgummit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lower Unit Lube Change 2004 OB

Hey Roast, first get you a lube pump, some new gaskets for your plugs, and any marine gear lube. With the lower unit level, you basically pull the top and bottom plugs on the lower unit, and drain the old lube. Then fill it through the bottom plug till it comes out the top vent hole. Put the top plug in before you take the pump out of the bottom. Then pull the pump and screw the bottom plug in real quick.