Lower Unit Leak ?

melbourne

Cadet
Here's the skinny...1984 Johnson 115hp...just above where the lower unit bolts up to the shaft there is some kind of oil stain that has me thinking I have some type of leak....the stain is just behind the stern most bolt..the location of the oil stain is located at exactly the same spot on both sides of where the lower unit connects to the shaft........does anyone have any ideas what is causing these 2 small stains??.....i don't see any type of seal.....:confused::confused:

melbourne

Cadet
Re: Lower Unit Leak ?

Thanks HighTrim. I had already reviewed that link but I am still suspicous given the location of both of stains...I am familiar with the prop leak....can you tell me if there is a seal located just above where the lower unit bolts up to the shaft?
Thanks again.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a link to all the seals in the lower unit.

"http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e"

Could you post a pic? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Pull the prop off and see if you have any gear oil residue around the shaft. That should tell you if you have a prop seal leak. Is the dripping oil black or brown or green? If its black its most likely unburnt fuel oil mixture, as you know.If it is a brown or greenish colour, its probably lower unit lube. I would also run full synthetic lower unit lube.

melbourne

Cadet

Pardon the delay, I have to charge the batteries in my camera.....

melbourne

Cadet

Hightrim, I can't get the filesize on the attachment low enough to send do you have an email address I can sent the pic to?

melbourne

Cadet

HighTrim,

I figured it out.....look just above the exhaust and to the left....

Attachments

• Boat 001.jpg
    Boat 001.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0

CUCULANDRA

Cadet

That Looks Like Unburned 2 Stroke Oil To Me, I Just Dropped My Lower Unit In My Johnson And I Replaced The Exhaust Port Gasket That Goes Exactly In That Spot Where Your Getting The Oil Spots. It Is Only 4 Dollars And Would Fix Your Problem

melbourne

Cadet

Cuculandra, Thanks for your response.

how difficult was it to remove the lower unit....is it just a matter of removing the 5 bolts towards the front of the lower unit and it drops off ??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree, that is carbon build up, a mixture of oil and unburnt fuel. Drop the lower unit, change the offending exhaust gasket and clean out the exhaust. I try to do this every time my lower unit is off, makes it easier for the next time. To drop your lower unit, there will be the main retaining bolts, and I believe on your model a bolt underneath the trim tab, remove it and have a look. You will also need to disconnect the shift rod from the bell crank. You do this underneath and behind the starboard carbs. Follow the shift rod up the lower unit to where it meets the floor of the cowl. It will come through and attach to the bellcrank, this looks like a teeter totter , for lack of a better description. Also remove the prop, you dont want to damage it during removal of the lu.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have a pair of 1987s and there is no gasket at that joint. There is an exhaust gasket as CuCu indicates.

melbourne

Cadet

Thanks a lot for the detail. I give it a whirl once I get my floor replacement wrapped up.

CUCULANDRA

Cadet

It Is Not Hard To Take It Down. However If The Oil Stains Do Not Bother You, This Will Not Affect The Performance Of The Boat In Any Way.