Lower unit leak. Need advice.

jrlogan11

Seaman
Bought my boat last fall. Engine: Force 85hp OB, I think 1986 but not positive. Guys says it's had yearly changes of impeller, other than that don't know about maintenance to lower unit. Changed oil this year, and it was milky. Didn't have time to rebuild right away, so refilled with new oil and ran for a bit. Checked, milky again. Obviously I have a leak in the unit that needs to be fixed. I will definitely start with pulling the lower unit and replacing the water impeller, housing gasket, o rings, driveshaft and shift rod seals. I have done this all before, so I don't think I'll have a problem doing this part.<br /><br />Questions:<br />1. What if the leak is around the prop shaft? Is this hard to replace? need special pullers, tools, etc? Can somebody please give me a detailed explanation of doing this? I looked in a seloc manual, but they are doing a complete tear down of the lower unit and I think their instructions include more tear down than I really need. (ie: do I remove the 'anode'?)<br /><br />2. Where would I get a fitting to hook a bicycle pump to the unit and pressure test it? If I do this and don't see a leak around the prop shaft, should I leave it be, or replace it anyway since I have no idea when it was last serviced?<br /><br />3. Where can I buy a seal kit (preferably web site) that will include all needed parts for a good price? What numbers will I need to give them off my motor to insure I get the right kit, and where would I locate those numbers?<br /><br />4. Am I going to destroy my lower unit if I run it for short periods with slightly milky but fresh oil for a few days before fixing this? (planning a trip, no time to fix beforehand)<br /><br />Anything else I need to consider you can think of? Your help is much appreciated!

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower unit leak. Need advice.

Have you changed the gaskets behind the lower unit screws? I've seen those wear out and let water in.<br /> Nickster

beach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most hardware stores carry test guages (0-30lbs) with a manifold. Manifold has a valve stem and on the end is a 3/4" female pipe thread. I reduced from that to 1/4" hose and used the threaded end from a lower end pump to complete. Check your manual for lbs to test at. I don't know if their all the same, my chrysler 105 called for 10 lbs. hth

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

On my chrysler I took off the prop and removed the two screws and was able to pull the bearing cage cover off with my hands. The prop shaft seal was shot and was a real bear to get off the bearing cage. Once I got the old one off it was a piece of cake. You can check this link for parts.<br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/SelectModelType3.asp?class_id=2 <br /><br />They have a blow up of the lower unit and you can order the parts you need from the blowup. Problem is the shipping is 20 dollars so get everything you need. <br /><br />I made a test plug with a screw from the hardware store a rubber o ring and a basket ball needle. Drilled the screw, put the needle in and used hard permatex in the hole to fill around the needle and the screw. Cant do a long time pressure test but you can find a leak pretty quick.<br /><br />If the oil stays milky and no real water comes out of the fill hole you might be able to finish the season with it. Just keep replacing the oil everytime you use it. Not a good idea but it should last.

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer

I believe there are some lower unit seal kits for sale on Ebay right now. Check out "Chrysler outboard" or "force outboard."<br /><br /> I just bought a seal kit for my 85HP Chrysler from outboardparts.com. It only cost me $20 plus $7 shipping!<br /><br />Shane

jrlogan11

Seaman

Thanks a lot guys! I'll see if I can rig something up for the pressure test. I just ordered the seal kit from outboardparts.com. Thanks for the tip on that, great deal, and shipping was only $7.<br /><br />I'm happy to say that I took the lower unit off today without any problems so I could bring it home to work on it (I store my boat 2hrs from where I live). I was having nightmares of my driveshaft splines being rusted to the powerhead! :eek: <br />Luckily, mine came out easily and still had plenty of grease and not a speck of rust on it.