lower unit jumps out of gear

I have a 55hp force outboard, that when you put the engine under load it starts to jump and make grinding noises, I have replaced the control cables and had a shop adjust them and that didn't work, before that I replaced the lower housing and that didn't fix it. wife is made about a boat with no go.

MikDee

Banned
Re: lower unit jumps out of gear

It used to be a bad clutch dog in the lower unit on old 60's era outboards, not hard to do, or very expensive, but I'm talking about years ago, don't know if it's the same today?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit jumps out of gear

If you replaced the cables and IF the shop adjusted the cables and shift linkage correctly, then it is probably worn clutch drive dogs. These mate with similar dogs on the gears when engaged and both usually wear.
Now, the shop is going to want to replace the gears and clutch for about 200 for forward gear and 85 for dog clutch plus labor. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can take the dogs and carefully grind them back to un-worn metal with a Dremel and carbide bits. Requires a steady hand though. Saves a lot of bucks! Or-- See if you can buy a used unit on ebay or here at iboats for not too much. Very easy to change.
However, the first thing to do is to double check the linkage adjustment and not assume the shop got it correct. You need to be sure that there is equal travel of the shift rod in both directions, and that neutral is indeed in the center of travel. Get a Clymers Manual. It gives detailed instructions on adjusting linkages and believe me, it is NOT difficult. If you can count to ten on your fingers, you can do it. Tell the wife to please be patient. A problem like this is not the end of the boating season.