Lower Unit Hose Leaking Oil?

chuckinduck

Cadet
Took my 97 Starcraft Islander out this past weekend for the first fishing trip of the year. She ran great, as she always does. However, I got home, and drained the block as a precaution because I'm in michigan we still get nights hovering around the freezing mark. On tuesday night, I got home from work and noticed a small puddle of lower unit oil on the ground. Maybe 1/2 cup or so. I crawled under the lower unit, and noticed oil running down the hose that feeds the lower unit the oil from the reservoir. I followed the dripping oil as far up the line as I could see, but couldn't ever find where it was leaking from? I then opened the engine box, and the reservoir is still full, and I see no oil/residue in the bottom of the boats bilge area? I'm stumped at where this oil could've materialized from. Lastnight I placed a cardboard box under the lower unit to see if anymore oil dripped out, and I got up this morning to find one small spot smaller then a dime. When I returned home from work, I didn't find anymore spots? Could this oil be from a spill during the winterizing process, or perhaps a small leak? If so, any idea's on if or how this might be fixable for a do it yourselfer? Thanks in advance.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Lower Unit Hose Leaking Oil?

A little information about your engine/drive would go a long way. We have no way of knowing what you are working on.

And pictures too. We like pictures!!! Especially ones like Arlo referred to with circles and arrows explaining what each one was......

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... What kinda drive,...

Did you check the lower unit drain plug for Water intrusion,..??

chuckinduck

Cadet

sorry guys, I forgot to add that. Its 4.3 Mercruiser LX 6 cylinder. I didn't pull the plug to check for water intrusion, only because the leak is originating somewhere up near the transom.

Bondo

Staff member

I didn't pull the plug to check for water intrusion, only because the leak is originating somewhere up near the transom.
Ayuh,... And it's ALL the Same oil cavity....

chuckinduck

Cadet

I see your logic, but I guess what I meant was the leak began 2 days after I pulled it out of the water, so I ruled out the fact that any water may be in the lower unit at the present time.

Bondo

Staff member

I see your logic, but I guess what I meant was the leak began 2 days after I pulled it out of the water, so I ruled out the fact that any water may be in the lower unit at the present time.

Ayuh,... Or it took on water the other day,+ it took time for the Overfilled displaced oil to find it's way out....

If I'm right, your lower unit is out there Rusting away sitting in Water....

If You're right,.. You have an oil leak,+ you can say that you Looked....

Just sayin'.....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my guess is its an alpha 1 genII unit and the hose or transom fitting for the lube oil monitor is leaking.
neither is fun to fix but fix it you must.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

run your hand down the reservoir and hose to see if there's any oil coming from up there, either due to overflow or bad hose or connection. If it's over-flow, Bill could be right and the drive has water in it.

Other things to check is the color of the oil...to ID it.

chuckinduck

Cadet

Thanks guys, I pulled the drain plug to check that too. Here is a picture of the oil. The oil on the left is from the reservoir, the oil on the right is drained oil from the lower unit. Look alright?
picture.php

Here is a picture of the hose I saw the oil dripping off of. Its the hose right above the two bellows.
picture.php

chuckinduck

Cadet

Did some more inspecting of my problem, and I found that there is in fact a crack in that hose that feeds the lower unit the oil. Anyone ever replaced one of these, and is it a DIY fix? It seems accessible, and from what I can see, it appear its just pushed on over a brass fitting up near the housing, I couldn't see where the line attached to the actual lower unit itself.