Lower unit help

duffler2000

Cadet
How can i tell what type of lower unit i have? I have water coming in quickly and think i need to replace some gaskets back there but i dont know what kit to buy until i determine my lower unit type. all it says is mercruiser. it is a 1972 165 hp in-line 6 cyl sn 3291544. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lower unit help

You have a Mod.1,<br />or "R" drive,<br />or Pre-Alpha...........<br /><br />3 names, All the same Drive.........

duffler2000

Cadet

hey guys thanks, that helps a bunch. Blk-nBlu thanks for the link it is now on my favorites

ziggy

Admiral

hi duffler2000, what kinda boat ya got with that 72' 165? i just got my Dad's 72 trisonic with a merc 165 too. thinking i got me a merc I drive too. perhaps bondo can clarify my notion of it being I drive, as opposed to mod 1. i got the idea it was I drive from the boat repair store where i live at. from what i can read there's not a lot of difference like bondo says. so far i've put a sea water impeller in it and rebuilt one of the trim tubes. i got more to do too. how about you? have ya figured out where the water is comeing in from?

duffler2000

Cadet

no not yet ziggy!!! im gonna get a transom gasket set and redo all bellows and things on the inside if that dont help i dont know what im gonna do. The water is eaasilly pumped out but i cant sit and float for 15 minutes without having to turn on the pump. last year i had problems with it running right so im just happy i got that taken care of now. this is my first boat so im enjoying my time on the water. hey ziggy try that link from blk-n-blu its pretty neat

Bondo

Staff member

bondo can clarify my notion of it being I drive, as opposed to mod 1.
There's a Difference ??????<br />A Capital i is a Roman numeral one ........

duffler2000

Cadet

i just got back from a ride and was having carb problems and a guy asked why i was taking on water. i told him i did not know yet but was checking into it. he told me on his boat the gimball bearing went out and was doing the same thing, do you think this is a possibility?

Bondo

Staff member

I'd sooner think the Bad Gimbal Bearing is a Result, <br />rather than the Cause of the Problem.........