Lower unit gearcase oil question

badly bent or broke

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a quart of Mercury gear oil at my local boat dealer for $12. I then saw a quart of Pennzoil marine gear lube at the auto parts store for around $4. Is there a big difference in the oil or is it basically the same stuff in different color containers at a different price?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit gearcase oil question

Although Merc gear oil MAY have a better additive package, ALL brands must meet minimum standards. Personally I despise paying extra for the brand NAME and packaging. I always buy the cheapest I can find. Works fine for me.

Now others will chime in and tell you how much superior the brand name is and they would never use anything else. You pays your money---you takes your choice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Merc make 2 different gear oils. One that sells for around $4, the other for about $9, at my local farm supply store.

Label says don't mix the two.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I usually buy Quaker State only because it is easily available.
Been buying 2 stroke and gearcase oil, automotive oils strictly by price and availability for about 50 years.On cars I change oil and filter every 5,000 to 7,000 miles.I believe every 3,000 is a comeplete waste of money except for the most severe conditions.Oil change intervals in the early 30s were about 1500 miles with very primative oils and motors that were not the cleanest burning.And in those days it might be months making 1,500 miles.
It's hard for me to believe 3,000 is needed with todays oils,filters engines and cars accumulating 3,000 in 2 or 3 months or less.
What am I ranting about?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My mecanic (and friend) once mentioned Merc gear oil was refered to as being 'heavy duty". Maybe this is why it would be more expensive ... donno. Personaly on my 15 hp Force OB I use (right or wrong) synthetic gear lube for the added protection since the lower unit of this engine is smaller than most OB's and thus contains less oil ... considering I change it once a year only, and the value of the lower unit, I dont realy care about the extra cost ... but then that me.

Cheers