Lower Unit Gear Oil in Bilge ???

pete42

Cadet
Hello. New to the post but have enjoyed it so far! I have a 1987 SeaRay 17' Bowrider with a 3.0 L Chevy inline 4 cyl engine.Alpha 1 drive...I discovered after my last run a couple of weeks ago that I have greenish-oil in my bilge (behind bilge pump)only... I cleaned out bilge and cleaned over engine well to try to find leak...I filled my lower unit after winterizing..(After I drained it out before winterizing)...I got a hand mirror and could not see (or feel) anything obvious...What Gives?????? Thanks, Pete42 :confused:

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower Unit Gear Oil in Bilge ???

Upper seal on the yoke is probably out. Good thing you found it before you lost your gears. leaking in thru the bellows, you Need a reseal and maybe a yoke.

pete42

Cadet
Re: Lower Unit Gear Oil in Bilge ???

Is this a minor thing to change out or pretty expensive? (I have a good mechanic contact that handles the "major" fixes for me...Also, If I keep check on my drive unit fluid level should it be OK to take out on the water? (4th of July weekend coming up ya know) ;) When I cleaned the bilge out today it probably was about an ounce (over 3 day period)I am monitoring it.... Thanks again! , Pete42