lower unit dripping oil?

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 2000 50 hp johnson on an 18' pontoon.. i noticed tonight after returning from the lake it had dripped a small amount of lower unit oil on the ground... my questions is a little fuzzie to me but here goes ..
a. does this indicate a major problem?
b. can i replace the seal myself? i have decent mechanical skills
c. is there any normal amount of leakage? it been sitting a couple of months.. i just bought the boat..

thanks in advance.. for the help...

curtis

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: lower unit dripping oil?

Sure its gear oil and not just unburnt oil from the fuel?

See http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

Not difficult to renew seals but first you have to determine which it is. Pressure test may be necessary or simply renew all. Good time to do pump impeller as well.
No gear oil leak is acceptable because if oil leaks out water can leak in.

Checked the gear oil for signs of water? Checked it for oil level for that matter?

New motor to you then worth reading http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If the oil was black and coming from the prop it is exhaust but since lowers are so expensive I would start by changing the lower unit oil, if oil can drip out, water can get in.

If the lower oil is a nice honey color you are good, if it is milky white or mostly water bust out the tools and order a seal kit.

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

ok lets start by saying it was .. jet black.. and thin.... and to kick it all when i went out this morning expecting to see a puddle.. i found nothing...not a drip.. :confused::confused:.. so now i am thanking god.. but still concerned...

a70eliminator

Captain

I have yet to see a two cycle engine that doesn't eventually begin dripping oil, there is a crankcase drain on your outboard and it's perfectly normal to see some oil draining out after it's been run, if you tilt your engine up you may even see some more run out, or tilt it down whichever, I usually tilt mine down after returning home so it drains out good.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Black thin and gungy = partly burnt oil from the fuel. Normal.

Still concerned, check your gear oil.
Run a little out to inspect.
Clear and bright; no problems.
Any drops of water or milky looking oil then there is water getting in and investigation and rectification called for.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same experience recently, and this site helped me tremendously. Mine was jet black, while the lower unit oil was honey clear.

Use your situation as an opportunity to change the lower unit oil anyway. That lets you check the oil when it drains out and assures the unit is full with fresh oil for the next outing with confidence.

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the support..
i am going to check lower unit oil today.. i look yesterday.. and only found one plug .. my other boat had two .. one on top for checking and filling and one on bottom for draining.. i really need to get a manual for this motor..

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The oil in a gearcase may well be black - it turns black when it is worn out, indicating poor maintenance. Also, gear oils have come in many colors including blue and red- that depends on the manufacturer of the oil.

You have two slotted screws (some four stroke models have three and some models have allen wrench heads). Look below the rounded part of the gearcase for the drain and high for the vent. It will be similar to the one in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj0la6c5FDg&feature=related

The unit should be in the running position for draining and refilling.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

In THIS DIAGRAM #10 is the drain/ fill plug #6 is the level plug

DO NOT Remove either #55 or # 3 or bits inside will come a drift!

Fit new seals on both plugs