Lower Unit 95-200HP

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I noticed on the port engine that one of the fins just above the prop has a large section of the corner broken/missing. Its just to the right of the zinc tab and in fact you can see the side of the zinc tab where this break accured. Its probably from forlifts raising the boat in and out at the marina and therefore something that can go unnoticed for sometime. A rock or something also could have been flung-up from the prop and caused the crack. Does this need to be repaired anytime soon or can it go sometime untill I have the loser unit off? Also, how difficult is it to remove lower unit on this engine. I've done a couple of Johnsons and even a Force engine but nothing this larger.<br />Gary

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower Unit 95-200HP

What brand???<br /><br />Places that repair props and skegs can usually fix antiventilation plates as well. If it isn't sucking air and overrevving, then the need is probably not immediate. But you should check to see if the propshaft is bent.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit 95-200HP

see it all the time. its usually no worries other than cosmetic, the V4-V6 yams are the eaisest lowers to remove/install of any manufacture.<br />unless the bolts are corroded in place, this is normally caused by excessive maint :) .