Lower shift cable.....

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
ok. I have a 1980 vintage MC-1 outdrive, SN 5576434. The lower shift cable is done. If I go on Marineengine.com, using that serial number, I get a Sierra P/N 18-2157. However, If I go to the earlier schematics, I get P/N 18-2158 with a note that serial numbers up to 6225577 use the older style cable. (this transcends the two year and serial number ranges, and the "correct" schematics do not show this difference) The difference is that one threads in from the front, and one from the back of the bellhousing. My bellhousing takes the cable that threads into the front side of the bellhousing.

My issue is that a lot of the "discount" cables all show the same numbers as interchangeable, when obviously they shouldnt be. I checked the threaded hole in the bellhousing and it does go all the way through threaded, but IIRC this is a pipe thread, and therefore the cable will not thread in. Is this correct in the general consensus.

Short question, are the two styles actually interchangeable, and I am being stupid, or did I buy the wrong cable, and am being stupid?

I really want to get this bellhousing back together, so if the cable I have will work just fine, I am good, otherwise I get to do the return dance, and flush another week or so down the drain....

savery

Seaman Apprentice
Hopefully someone will validate my reply for you, but I believe that Quicksilver 8M0176524 (formerly 865436A03) solves all shift cable replacements since the beginning of time. (Well, 1978 and up, although it comes up as a suitable replacement for my 1975 and a similar style with the brass nut on the aft side of the bellhousing is installed)

The hole is a straight pipe thread, 1/4"-18 NPSF so the threads only need to be "chased' at the aft end of the bell housing. These look to be available on Amazon quickly but you might want to spring for a slightly less questionable one from McMaster (2526A43) but for $30... ehh, the crappy amazon one will probably be fine for aluminum.

Also, check out this old thread:
https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1977-mercruiser-233-lower-shift-cable.700204/

achris

More fish than mountain goat
ok. I have a 1980 vintage MC-1 outdrive, SN 5576434. The lower shift cable is done. If I go on Marineengine.com, using that serial number, I get a Sierra P/N 18-2157.
Nothing but problems with non-OEM shift cables.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully someone will validate my reply for you, but I believe that Quicksilver 8M0176524 (formerly 865436A03) solves all shift cable replacements since the beginning of time. (Well, 1978 and up, although it comes up as a suitable replacement for my 1975 and a similar style with the brass nut on the aft side of the bellhousing is installed)

The hole is a straight pipe thread, 1/4"-18 NPSF so the threads only need to be "chased' at the aft end of the bell housing. These look to be available on Amazon quickly but you might want to spring for a slightly less questionable one from McMaster (2526A43) but for $30... ehh, the crappy amazon one will probably be fine for aluminum.

Also, check out this old thread:
https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1977-mercruiser-233-lower-shift-cable.700204/
You just made my day.... I saw that the hole was thru threaded, but had some "crap" in it. I ordered a tap to chase the threads, so that should solve my problem. I had been kicking my ass for the past few hours on how I could have screwed this up, then the realization came that most of the parts shown are "incorrect" unless you know this little bit of information. I may be over a barrel for a few more days to get this reassembled now, but at least I dont need a new cable (again).

as for all but the OEM cables being garbage, well, this boat is being brought back from basket case status, and its on a budget until its been fully vetted as good with the engine and drive itself. I dont want to put a $100 cable in a $400 boat, only to have the engine go belly up in short order. I can justify $35 bucks for a year or so, but at that point, im changing the bellows again anyways. Not to mention I would have been about 3x more pissed when the cable appeared to be the wrong one after having paid 3x more for it!!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I can justify $35 bucks for a year or so, but at that point, im changing the bellows again anyways. Not to mention I would have been about 3x more pissed when the cable appeared to be the wrong one after having paid 3x more for it!!
You may not be able to properly use the boat to see if it's "worth it" to put the money into it, i.e. the aftermarket cable most likely will not work properly. I've never had one work, ever

Merc has only made one cable for alpha style drives for over 30 years and old style/nos oem cables have been non existent for 15 years or so....

However, it's your boat and your money. Good luck