Lower Shift Cable

Rob_NC

Cadet
OK folks started yesterday a project of switching one engine ;181 cu in place of a 153 ci . Heres the dilemma..so far..the receiver boat lower shift cable was frozen up,I managed to free it up some but don`t trust it.So I`m going to change it now instead of later.....My question is; as the original is not available which is the best avenue to go..the pipe thread route or the straight thread w/nut on backside...threading the hole should not be a problem either way ..but the pipe thread doesn`t trip my trigger..the threaded all the way thru and it`s lock nut installed on the backside sounds and looks like a better install...Don whats your opinion which is best...this one...or this one...I haven`t tracked down the straight throught threaded cable yet..so if anyone has a supplier that has it I would apperciate the heads up....
..stern drive serial number is 3642739
..which is in a 73` Larson 1650 Shark

thanks guys I`m looking at doing this once..as the old adage goes
IT`S NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT RIGHT BUT THERES ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER
..is something I hope to minimize..I like boats..but I prefer using them instead of working on them...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Lower Shift Cable

You definitely want a strait tap as you do not want to F up your bell housing. You can order one through your local dealer. And when it comes to the cable. Order the Merc cable, they are much better than the aftermarkets.

Rob_NC

Cadet
Re: Lower Shift Cable

..well got them all torn down..receiver boat with the bad shift cable bell housing has had the cable replaced evidently.The inside mount bolt is a pipe thread...kind`a strange this was a boat that my father in-law bought when it was only months old and I never remember him having shifter problems let alone having the cable replaced..sooo,could this have been a factory deal...guess it really doesn`t matter that's the card I`m dealt(he`s gone so I cant ask him)..without replacing the bell housing..which is a option for the other boat has it`s and it worked like a dream when I muff tested it..sooo is it worth the extra work....? Now considering the age of this thing;it is in great shape..sooo if this pipe threaded cable is junk..I`ll get rid of it..any opinions are welcome. Now trim tab sending unit and water pump and we good to go....except a wrung off rear mount boat..flush with the transom engine mount...it`s soaking right now..before any attempt with the miracle wrench and it`s trusty companion the air hammer:eek:......the trim sender R/R ..anything I need to be aware of ?

Again thanks guys.....