Lower seal replacement 1996 Ev 48 spcl

Big Rush

Recruit
Greetings all,
I hope I am not duplicating anything. I have searched and have not seen this issue adressed before.
I have replaced the prop shaft seals in the lower end. Now as I am reassembling the unit, it hangs up with about 1/8" left to go.
I have been cautious of the thrust washer, which did come out. I have it held in place with grease and do not believe it is the source of the trouble. I believe I can force the unit into place, but am reluctant to do so if there is something I am over looking.
I have had the unit apart and reassembled it before and do not recall this happening last time. I does however only have one of the retaining clips instead of two. These being the (stainless?) metal pieces that hold the assembly in place and have a bolt slot it them. I have made a replacement out of aluminum. The last time I put the unit back together, it would not reliably engage in reverse. I assumed this was due to the inner housing not being seated all the way in place.
Agaiin, the housing did not seem to be completely seated but functioned well in forward gear. after some testing, reverse capability returened and I noticed the inner housing had seated, possibly due to the forward thrust(?)
Sorry to be so wordy, this is my first question and I want to be clear.
My question at this point is -- Am I missing something, or does this inner housing require a little force to seat correctly?
Thank you in advance,
Dave

Ok I have tried to reassemble the unit leaving the thrust washer and bearing out. The hang up still exsists.
Makes me think it is in the housing/roller bearings/seals.
I have lubed everything up with grease and also with lower unit oil, but no change.
I have built a tool to force the unit in place using 1" pvc pipe which slides over the prop shaft and leaves the threaded portion usable. Using the prop nut and a big washer, I have no doubt it would push the assembly in palce.
Maybe this has a tapered fit? This is normal?
Just a newbie being too cautious?

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lower seal replacement 1996 Ev 48 spcl

Go ahead and try your tool. I believe it's a "press fit" and it shouldn't take alot of push to get it to seat. Don't hit anything with a hammer! Keep us posted OK?

Big Rush

Recruit
Re: Lower seal replacement 1996 Ev 48 spcl

Ok good deal. It was indeed a press fit. A little more snug than I thought it should have been, but it is back together no leaks.
Thank you for your assistance,
Dave