Lower/midleg swap... Splitting block from leg? Help thanks

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys... After trying multiple things and temporary fixes I have finally had it with my one piece lower unit and leg, and decided to change to an earlier two piece, as parts are available here in oz and plus I already have two older engines...
Here's my problem- after removing all covers and bolts I am at the point of swapping over- but cant for the life of me get the "block" pryed apart from the "leg casting"... Why am I struggling? Is there a trick or hidden bolt? So keen for using over summer...
Frank sir, I have read thru and looked and seen previous reference to such a swap, but cannot find the actual Post... I have been winging it and thanks to your advice, well, so far so good-provided hrs of entertainment :) but if you know the trick for this little ditty or could somehow link me thru to post of this job, well mate you know I'd apprieciate it... By the way- When you getting upside down for a beer ol mate? Cheers all, Aussie steve :)

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lower/midleg swap... Splitting block from leg? Help thanks

Oops... Lol too much Christmas spirit haha umm prob should say that the motor with one piece box is my 82 125hp... And my donor motors for legs/ box = 1975 90hp, or a 75 model 75hp... I'm going to 90 box for the quicker ratio :) in the constant hunt for speed!! Lol any ideas anyone? Cheers and merry Christmas to all!! :)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your trying to get the powerhead off?
Pics of the head and mid section.
If your POSITIVE all the bolts are free???
Then a prybar at the rear of the motor.There is a flange it will fit into.
The cover for the mid section off?
Above the exhaust is another bolt/nut.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

Hi jerry thanks mate :) with a great deal of force I got the 90hp separated- seemed to be stuck on the studs from the block next to where the exhaust tube connects. I was concerned that there was a internal bolt- I even took exhaust and intake covers off to check!! :)

Now, from all my measurements I should only have to take the 6 bolts off that hold bracket on and swap the old doner leg onto the bracket with T/T currently on boat, sit "block" (power head I think you guys call it) assembly on top, bolt up all covers, refit carbs and dizzy ect...

My biggest current question is that on my good 125, it appears there's very little gap to pry open does have pry tabs though and it also has had a bead of silicone or the like to seal it on, not a proper gasket :( any tricks for separating this? I'm huge (6'7") and shouldn't have any drama lifting power head off the 125 and sitting it on ground, even knowing I have to get high enough for exhaust tube to clear leg... Any ideas other than brute force? Cheers

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There are no tricks to separate the block and exhaust tube from the midleg. There are six 9/16 bolts in the front and six 9/16 nuts on studs at the rear. The studs frequently corrode into the midleg and they are difficult to force out. If you have a stud remover tool, you can try pulling most of the studs out --except for the rear on, there is not enough room for the tool.

There are two pry tabs on the rear of the match plate. you need to use a large wedge and pry between them and the midleg. You may need to hammer in the wedge. Once you crack the seal, then work toward the front. If you just pry at one point, the studs will **** and jam in the holes. There is a possibility that the pry points will break off and then you are SOL.

Pry and insert spacers in the gap as you lift the block. The block itself weighs about 100 pounds so a friend or a winch will really help. Once you get the block up a good bit, you will need to **** and turn it to clear the flange on the exhaust downtube--it will catch on the water pipe mount.

Understand though that the two piece mid and lower is slower than the one piece. Also, props are more difficult to find. If these two concerns do not bother you, then the two piece will work well and everything except the lower unit will swap back onto the midleg

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

Ok :) after hours in the shed with the lovely bride and the young'ns on a ridiculous 41 degrees Celsius day (unsure of the conversion... But bloody hot!!) we managed to pry the leg off the good 125hp motor, join to older midleg and in turn join lower off 90... Reassembled the whole deal, hooked it up to hose- no water!? Inspected impeller housing and blades, impeller looked sketchy and with no hope of getting one over the Christmas new year period I was getting worried... Looked at the impeller from the 125 one piece, and saw it was similar but wider... I got creative with a bread knife for the rubber bits and my bench grinder for the centre but, took care and machined it down till it fit perfectly, Refit lower, BOOM success!! Nice water flow. Now, after all the work I had my young blokes spin prop and move gear lever while I adjusted the gear throw rod nuts, got it so it just clicked in nicely to either gear before revving up... Hopefully it goes well :) water testing tomorrow, I'll post results of speed difference, feel, take off ect soon, I installed a 19P 13" prop for tomorrows run, as you mentions frank that it was a slower gear case I thought more pitch may boost overall speed- unsure though of prop that was on 125 one piece- was S/Steel no markings but max speed i got at WOT was only 78kph- around 45/50 mph? Lol I thought the big girl on such a little boat would get me to 100kph... That's cracking! :) im thinking of possibly making a quick thread on how to change things about- it may help others in the future... thanks again guys, your advice has been fully apprieciated as always... Aussie Steve

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND SAFE, HAPPY BOATING FOR ALL!! :)
Eat my wake haha ;)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

working copy.jpgresized55.jpg

Even with Santa's reindeer on the front you will not get 100 KPH! That, my friend is beyond the realm of reasonable. This 14 footer with a 125 and the one piece lower unit only got to around 60 MPH-- That is just a tad above 100KPH.

Given that the two piece lower unit is slower and given that it is supposed to blow out over 60 it just aint gunna happen. HOWEVER: I would be VERY interested to know if the two piece lower really does blow out. SO, please post results of your water test.

And, 41 C works out to 105.8--are you sure your thermometer is correct? Difficult for people to live in that temp for any length of time.

C to F is 9/5 C plus 32. (because 0C is 32F)

F to C is 5/9 F minus 32.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

Hi again, Just a Quick update on the rocket... Frank, as usual, right you are :) 73kph at full noise!
Also mate, For all the advice & knowledge you've given me, well, Im gunna get you some yummy Aussie beers sent to you mate, I owe you big (and i promise not to give you Fosters- worst beer ever, thats why we export it-yuk!) Will hunt that up via private message.

We have been up camping/boating for 2 weeks over the festive season, approx 100hrs use towing 2 tubes or skiiers, & not a drama with it, so IMHO it was the way to go!!
For anyone else attempting the swap either way, Yes, it can be done, but be warned- IT IS BLOODY HARD WORK!! my advice is when it seems it won't come apart or when your swearing like a sailor, go have a beer, chill out and re-think it, as perseverance NOT brute strength is key!!

On a side note, I only thought it was hot doing that leg swap... today in beautiful downtown Wagga Wagga (my hometown, and yes we really call places that) today is an almost unbelieveable 43.7c! over in south oz it's 47c!! Hmmm...It's Saturday, so only thing to do is grab some coldies and go boating!!

Here's to all the best for 2013, happy, safe boating for all!! cheers- Steve :)