Lower housing swap

dk6164

Seaman
I need to replace my lower housing on an Alpha One with one I bought on e-bay. The guy said he spun the gears in the upper. Is there any way I can flush the lower to make sure there's nothing in it that shouldn't be (like metal shavings)or do I need to tear it apart to make sure. I don't want to install it find out later there were shavings in it!<br /><br />Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lower housing swap

Well,...........If it were Me,......<br /><br />I'd Have to have a Look Inside,...Just to Know it's condition......... ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

metal does have a tendancy to fall due to gravity. were it mine a teardown with new seals and water pump would be in order.

dk6164

Seaman

I was afraid you guy's would say that! I've been in the upper housing but never the lower. I was planning to replace the WP but I REALLY didn't want to dig into the housing itself. Is this a job for a shadetree mech. or should I take it to the shop?<br /><br />Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

91 was a change over year for the Alpha drives. Some were the Alpha I, some were the Alpha I Gen II, which do you have?<br />The link below will help you identify your drive.<br /><br /> http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm <br /><br />Personally, any time I've found gears in either the upper or lower failed, the other half is well on it's way also. The very small metal particals get suspended in the gear lube and circulate through the complete drive, and it just grinds the gears and bearing to death very quickly.

dk6164

Seaman

It is the Gen 1 unit- I always seem to by vehicles during change-over years! I spoke to the guy I bought the unit from and I mis-understood him. Apparently a bearing went (don't know which one) and he just bought a whole new unit. My budget tells me to fix mine so I guess I'll have a shot at it. At least I've got a standby unit for parts. I cracked open the housing on my old one and snapped the driveshaft. I've got the online manual and all winter to work on it, and anyway, how hard can it be!<br />(Famous last words)<br /><br />Thanks again for the advice.