lower end?

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok this may take awhile and I may not explain everything correctly so bare with me. I took my lower end in a mechanic to put knew seals in and transfer parts from the middle lower unit into another one (not the actaul gear case the one above it). He put it together saying he could not get all seals but would manufacture some of his own, I believe he used neoprene. Anyway he gave it to me and said it was done. I put it back on the ,motor put it in the water and discovered it would not go into gear. I pulled it back out dropped the unit and seperated the lower unit and discovered he had the wire for the forward gear crushed between the 2 units and almost severed it. Since I was upnorth and did not have all tools with me(extra wire) I put electrical tape around it. Also when I was in there I had to drain the oil and put knew type "C" and saw that it had water in it. So refilled with oil and put back together. Put in water and gears started to work. First 10 minutes it was going great then it would not go at full speed. I would put in full throttle but and would hesitate like it wanted to but would not. It purrs in nuetral, but will not go hard in full launch. Like I said it kind of jumps like it wants to go. It also somehow drained my battery. My question is would the wire I taped still be arching? Is this why I am not getting full power and draing my battery. I will be going back to the mechanic either way. Any help would be great. The motor is a 1963 Johnson Electromatic 75hp.

even125

Seaman
Re: lower end?

Hi I cannot see how a grounded +ve wire would drain the battery, it should just short out and burn up or blow a fuse if it did actually short. I guess the neoprene seals are in less terminal positions than any that can allow water into gear housing?Did it ever leak before? Water in there is scary, have you drained, flushed and refilled to save it? Was it the first time the lower unit saw the water with that oil? On the surface it sounds very dodgee if your order of events and observations are correct, take it to someone else next time, good luck with your problem, hope someone else can help more. even125

Xcusme

Commander

Juice,<br /><br />Only you know the condition of the wire that you repaired. You said "...had the wire for the forward gear crushed between the 2 units and almost severed it". I figure that the wire insulation was open , but, were the conductors cut as well?? Were there a few of the fine wires still intact?? If all you did was tape the connection, I'd guess what's left of the remaining wire strands aren't able to carry the current to fully engage the shift solenoid. The best thing to do is to drop the lower unit and make a solid soldered repair of the wire and use a piece of shrink tubing for the final insulation. As a general rule, if a power wire goes to ground (short circuit) the inrush of current will take out (open) an inline fuse, if one is installed.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks xcuse,yes the wires where exposed with some strands still intact. I did the tape job and am now in the midst of redoing them properly. Would these exposed wire be the cause of the power not going full. It did enage into gear, but would not fully get to speed. It seemed as if it did not want to get full power, but every so often it would buck but right away go back to the very low running rpm.<br />Any further help would really be helpfull<br />thanks