Lower carb idle screw has no effective

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice
I finally got my 74 50hp to semi idle so I was going to adjust the idle jets. When adjusting the top carb all went well followed the instructions in the FAQ on this site. Then when I went to the lower carb I adjusted the idle valve all the way in and it had no affect at all on the engine.
I did check compression and its ok. I also just soaked both carbs overnight and put kits in them.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Kenny

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower carb idle screw has no effective

Either it is not getting fuel to the bowl or you missed getting jet or passage clean or you may not have spark on that cylinder. Does it run above idle? Did you check the compression? There is quite a few things to check.

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What were your compression numbers? I'd check the spark before your tear down the carbs again. If you have the spark then back to the carbs. Check all your passages with something you can see coming out the other end like a carb cleaner with the spray straw.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure sound like it is not getting gas, float needle stuck, did you install the float up side down, that has happened in the past. i had one carb a couple of weeks ago that i had to remove 5 times to get the float not to stick.. is the spring on the needle and float.

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. The bottom cyl does have spark, sorry forgot the say that in my first post. The compression was ~100 on both cyl. When I 1st dunked the carbs and put the kits in them the boat did idle, while not very good it did idle and I was able to put it in gear ok. Once in gear it was a ran a little rough until WOF, when you WOT it screamed.
Now I cant even get it in gear without it stalling.
I kinda think that when it was dunked that the idle jet passaged still had gunk in it and it just clogged the rest of the way up after running a few hrs. I will take the lower back apart and check the float and passage ways tonight.
Thanks again, you guys are life savers here.
Kenny

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Switch the carbs and see if the problem follows the carb or not.