Lowe Transom Replacement

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I purchased new in 1978 a Lowe 14ft. Big John for small lake and river fishing. Over the years, my wife and I have customized it in order to make it comfortable for our fishing. We just love this boat. We have no reason to replace it for the way we fish. About ten years ago, I noticed that the laminated plywood transom was rotting out. Lowe places a piece of channel aluminium on the lower edge of this, that acually traps water, that is absorbed into the plywood. I asked my local Lowe dealer how I could replace the wood in the transom. He said what he does, is make a trip to one of our local saw mills, and pick up a piece of Oak lumber the approximate size and trim to fit. It will last for years. This is what I did, and am thoroughly satisfied. The transom might even be a little stronger now. When finished, I applied several coats of olive enamel paint.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lowe Transom Replacement

Acutually, it was not difficult at all. You must remove the lower angle piece that Lowe installs across the lower wood edge of the transom. This is installed with aluminum rivets. I just ground them off with a grinder. From there, you just basicly slide the wood transom down and out. My boat has two cast aluminum brackets that angles from the transom to the boat floor. I was able to just carefully bend these backward, and still pull the old wood out. Good luck.