low speed needle adjustment Johnson 200

fishweed

Seaman
I have spent allot of time and money getting this motor to run correctly. I am almost there! I just need help setting the low speed needles,(I think).<br /><br />The motor is a 1993 Johnson 200 GT. I have already rebuilt and cleaned carbs, new fuel and oil lines (no air leaks), redone recirculation system, a master mechanic has set timing and synced and linked.<br /><br />I have set the needles at 2 turns off seat per the mannual but the motor would not stay running at idle (750 RPM under load). I turned the needles out to 2 1/2 turns off seat and improved idle very slightly but the motor cuts off when trying to throttle her up past idle.<br /><br />My main question is, should I keep on leaning out the idle adjustment or do I need to be richening up the mix???

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer
Re: low speed needle adjustment Johnson 200

Ken. Sounds like you are still too lean. Turning the needles out (anti-clockwise) is richening the mixture.

fishweed

Seaman

Thank you for the help Seasport. I will continue to turn the needles out to 3 turns (anti-clockwise)and see how it does. <br />Sorry for my mistake of which way was rich and lean. Remember though, things spin alittle different up here north of the equator. :)

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Yes and of course you're usually hanging upside down when you adjust them! The service manual will tell you how to adjust the jets correctly. Basically, you have the motor idling in gear in the water. You back each of the screws out 1/8th turn at a time, leave the motor to run for a minute or two and repeat this until the motor no longer stalls.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Give us the complete model number as the needles may be adjusting the air bleed to the idle circuits and get leaner as you turn them out.<br /><br /><br />If you have slotted needles that are accessed thru the holes in the air silencer, then they are air bleeds. Turn them inward to richen the mixture. Some motors ran better when they were completely closed.

fishweed

Seaman

The model is J200STLET. The needles seem to adjust air more so than fuel flow.<br /><br />You are correct Seahorse, the screw heads are slotted and are accessed thru the air silencer.