Low speed missing...fuel spurting from low speed jet

johndoby

Recruit
I have a 1992 Evinrude 48 SPL. I can start it with the choke, but without constantly feeding it a little choke, it will die. If I up the fast-idle lever, I can set it to where it will continue running, but is still not butter-smooth. In gear, it will not run at low speed. Also, I noticed today that small bits of fuel were spurting from the low speed jet at the top of the carburetor (#9 on the Diagram). It appears that this jet sucks in small amounts of air from the air box and leads to the passage for the mixture screw (#18) which is on the side of the carburetor, near the top. I'm thinking this may be the cause of the problem, since the fuel that is spurting out is not allowing air in. Here is what I've done:

I've checked the compression, ~140 on both cylinders.

Spark looks good...I put new plugs in.

Carbs are clean...the first time I went through them, the main jet (#19) was clogged in both carbs, so I cleaned them. It still ran funky, so I took them back off and gave them a thorough cleaning, soaking the entire carb, minus all rubber and gaskets, in Chem Dip for three hours, then rinsed with water and blew out all orifices with compressed air. I bought two carb kits and replaced all gaskets and o-rings.

New gas tank, fresh fuel, mixed 50:1.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to have this thing fired up for the 4th!

convert.png

johndoby

Recruit
Re: Low speed missing...fuel spurting from low speed jet

Also, I forgot to add, I have tried adjusting the mixture screws, but without being able to keep a steady idle, I cannot follow procedure in the manual. I set them one and a half turns out as a baseline.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Low speed missing...fuel spurting from low speed jet

under #5 there are 3 very small holes (ventrui) that is how the low speed gas gets to the intake. if they are clogged the gas has to find some where else to go. and the motor does not get the fuel.