Low smoke oil ?? which one ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
1,200
To y'awl's knowledge and experience, which oil would be more likely to have my 15hp Force smoke less. There is a lot of smoke back there ... especialy when troling or right after. I own a 1981 Johnson 9.9 that dont smoke at all.

Would the smoke have something to do with the HP (15)or the motor (1997 Force) ?

Tx
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Low smoke oil ?? which one ?

Pick your oil. I prefer synthetic, reduce smoke greatly on 3 of my motors.
Properly clean and adjust carb.


Perhaps some of that smoke is actually steam.
 

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Apr 28, 2001
Messages
835
Re: Low smoke oil ?? which one ?

Put a 15hp carb on the johnson....
 

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
1,200
Re: Low smoke oil ?? which one ?

b.gagnon: I wont fix something that's not broken, plus it takes much more than a carb change to bring a 9.9 to 15. Intake and exhaust port have to be modified and that will cost as much as buying a new motor. Admitedly 15hp are hard to find, which explains why I bought that Force 15hp .

Cheers
 
Top