low rpm at idle speed?

bigwheeler

Cadet
hey guys,

My father just purchased a 1993 johnson 115 v4 outboard. It was purchased as is at a used dealership. It wil start up and idle fine with the muffs on it but when its put in the water it will only start if you give it some gas using the neutral warmup switch. After its startted it takes quite a while to warm up before you can bring it back down to idle before it cuts off and most of the time if you leave it in idle for any amount of time (2-3 min) without putting it in gear and giving it some gas it will cut off. I was thinking that the rpm may have only been set with muffs and not fine tuned in the water, what do yall think.

rpm with the muffs is around 950-1000
rpm in the water at idle is around 600

thanks for your reply
kevin

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: low rpm at idle speed?

you are correct it is idling slow, there is an idle speed stop screw on the linkage, that can be adjusted, to speed up idle. on muffs set the idle up some more, then fine tune in the water with the motor in gear. you want 600-750 in the water, in gear. the reason for the difference, on muffs, there is not any back pressure on the exhaust.

you also may need a carb cleaning, and rebuild, due to low speed jets starting to get clogged.

bigwheeler

Cadet
Re: low rpm at idle speed?

thanx for the info,

do you know of a place where i could find a drawing of the motor, i would like to be able to see which screw to adjust.