Low power in reverse ??

leeklm

Cadet
Hello,

Working on my "new" 1983 Lund Tyee with 90hp Johnson... Throttle opens up fine in forward gear, but throttle only opens part way in reverse. While the reverse power is fine for general use on the lake and backing from the shore, I had a hard time backing off the trailer! Had to almost float it off!

My past boats (mercurys) would open full throttle in reverse. Does this sound like a controller issue, or could it be setup this way?

Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Low power in reverse ??

They're set up that way for safety... 5000RPM's in reverse could be very dangerous!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You shouldn't be using the motor to get on or off the trailer anyway. Either back in deeper or put your back into it.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Neither my current Mariner or my previous Johnson outboards could do full throttle in reverse. Besides that you shouldn't need to. If your boat is still that "stuck" to the trailer you need to back in more if possible. I understand that some shallow ramps may not allow backing in that far. You could also try glide slicks on your bunks. They do work. I had added them on my last boat. If that doesn't do it and you are backed in as far as possible then a roller trailer may be the answer for you.

leeklm

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I do have a nice shorelander roller trailer, so the boat does load/unload relatively easy. Just seems my previous outboards would apply much more power in reverse. Would probably not hurt to open up the controller to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to be...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Carpeted bunks on the trailer? Spray them with silicone spray. Just a little will do wonders for getting that thing in the water.