low power evinrude

sonnie

Cadet
i have recently become involved in boating as an extension to the fine passtime of fishing. aquired a boat (5,5m - 18.5ft) with two suzuki dt50's. upgraded to two evinrude starflite 85hp V4's (ID plate had been sprayed over so i dont know the vintage). the v4's are extremely low on power when in the water. it seems that i do not get the full rev rage required to put the boat into plane as had been the case when the suzuki's gave a good performance the day. i then went through the following checks;<br />1. compression test indicates a pressure of 700- 800 kpa (i thnk 115-125 psi) not excellent but should be acceptable?<br />2. carburetter jets unobstructed and butterfly valves horizontal when full throttle.<br />3. there seems to be good spark at the plugs.<br />4. i found a tube connected to the carb cover. is this a vacuum pipe and what does it do?? it was clogged. could this have any effect?<br /><br />the info following would be appreciated;<br />1. possible causes of the low power. what else should i be looking for.<br />2. schematic diagram of wiring. especially rev counters and temp gauges if these motors are equipped with these. as these motors have probably been through a few owners, the wiring loom has been through a few revisions as well. information on the wiring would have to be from source in order for me to trace and make sense of.<br />3. what should the timing settings be. does one connect the strobe pick-up to HT lead 1?<br />4. what is the recommended rev range of these engines.<br /><br />so,, what do you think??<br /><br />ps. outboard engines are very expensive here in south africa. new engines are the furthest thing from my mind.

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: low power evinrude

Hi sonnie<br />Welcome aboard<br />The first thing that you should do is get yourself a manual. The rest of the boys here will probably be able to give you all the answers but if you are going to do the work yourself it will be money well spent.<br />Good luck<br />Wipper