low compression

grampa's toy

Seaman
I bought a rebuilt powerhead for my 1984 150 hp. johnson. It was a 200 hp. powerhead. The boat never did run right after it was put together, I can't take motor in for warenty. Carb have been rebuilt and I ran seefoam thru motor 3 times. compression went from 85 to 90 psi. the bores look good, my question is can I RE-RING the motor without totaly tearing it apart?

Walker

Captain
Re: low compression

There are a lot of V6 Crossflows running just fine with compression numbers like those. I'd look elsewhere for your problem.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello Grandpa,I agree with Walker.Theres a lot of other places to look at.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It would be nice to know what exactly is the problem.... :)

grampa's toy

Seaman

I seems to be way down on power. the boat doesn't want to plane out,it bogs and drops a cyl.when I try to take off. If I back off the throttle it picks up, once on plane it runs good. I have replaced the plugs and wires and had the carbs rebuilt. the vro was acting up so I eliminated it, and installed a small electric pump which may not be big enough.I should add when the powerhead was installed I used double oil in the gas plus the vro and totally fouled the plugs and the motor has not ran good since then

Walker

Captain

I'd go through the carbs again, give them a good soaking and blow out every passageway and orifice. Make sure they are sparkling clean. Then do a link & syncpaying particular attention to idle timing and max advance timing. Fresh fuel and give her a try.

grampa's toy

Seaman

Will do, I do run a filter water seperator in-line.Nothing appears to be sticking on throttle but i don't have a test wheel to check timing. The stator goes all the way to the stop when I advance the throttle.I'll post more after I clean the carbs. how many gph. does this motor use at wot? Update decided to check timing advance again. and I found that the idle stop timing screw was hanging up on a washer keeping the advance about a quarter inch from timing stop could this be my problem?