low compression #'s

HotLava

Seaman
Skirt some oil into the cyclinder through the spark plug hole, re-measure. If the reading goes up, it's rings, if it doesn't, could be valve seals or head gasket,

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
low compression #'s

86 170 mercruiser has <br /> <br />145 #1<br />75 #2<br />90 #3<br />90 #4 <br />This boat sat for about 4 yr with out being ran. what would be the most probable cause for these numbers? I am hoping it is just a gasket but I doubt it could be some thing that cheap. Where do I go from here?

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: low compression #'s

Could be a gasket, could also be piston rings

wake5150

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't get the impression from your original message that the boat wouldn't run.<br /><br />I'd guess that it should probably run, even with this crappy compression? Have you diagnosed fuel and ignition systems yet? <br /><br />Make sure your getting wet plugs and a spark. Best not to do so at the same time :)

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put oil in the cyls and no change.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cylinder walls rusted from sitting, and now the rings can't seal, leaking head gasket, valves not sealing the combustion chamber.<br /><br />If you have a 6 gallon tank, mix a heavy mix of Marvel Mystery oil and gas, get out on the water and run the engine, then do another compression check. I have had reasonable luck doing this, but there is no prefect way to get the compression up if the rings can't seal.

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wish I could get the motor to start co I could decarbonize it. Anything else that I am missing? Is it possible for this engine to run with these numbers?

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I guess I jumped the gun I am geting no spark from the coil.

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I got spark (points were a bit corroded) Now the carb is dripping fuel keeping the engine flooded where can I find the carb rebuild kit and all fuel filters?

vipzach

Lieutenant

NAPA usually has a pretty good selection of marine parts, what carb do you have?

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

You might just be able to take the carb apart and clean it. Could be rust or dirt. Check the float and needle

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the 2 bbl I am not sure of any other ways to identify it

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thankyou everyone I never thought I would get this things started. After I let the cylinders dry out from being flooded I primed it with a shot of gas and it fired. A huge cloud of black smoke came out and after that I realized the exhaust was coming from the inside of the boat. So my question now is where can I find the best deal on new exhaust bellows?