lost

Texan_Ron

Cadet
I am new to i/o's and this weekend buying a project boat 79' srv220 sea ray with a 260 mercruiser the seller had engine rebuilt 6 years ago then let the boat set in open storage 5 years and as we all know open storage is asking for problems all of the interior was stolen/damaged the engine has about 50 hours on before stored but he did not fogged the engine what should be the first step before hooking a battery to engine also what would the outdrive be on this boat?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: lost

First, Have the owner pay you to haul it away. After that, pull the plugs, squirt Magic Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders, rotate the engine numerous times, with breaker bar via the crank pulley. The engine may be seized up so you may have to let it soak overnight. Once able to turn engine, as above, change the oil, take well charged battery, pull the coil wire and try to crank it over till the oil pressure guage comes off the peg. Run the starter in short bursts otherwize you'll burn it out.<br /><br />Once done, if you can, prime the carbuerator float bowl, squirt a little gas down each barrel and let her rip. The gas is undoubtedly rotten so at some point you should get it out da tank. You might also throw in a can of additive in the event you have any moisture in the gas.<br /><br />After the motor, you'll at least want to check the fluids in the outdrive, eventually changing them b4 you use the boat. Watch engine temperature carefully. Sitting that long you could have a brittle then broken impeller in the outdrive. It should show pretty quick if the temp passes the 160 mark<br /><br />Then get ready to follow all of the posts here re rebuilding the floor and stringers.<br /><br />ps I'll be flying down to Houston next Thursday to pick up a suburban a friend bought on ebay. Then take 3 days to drive it back. Keep the good weather on for me.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd just like to add to boomyal's info that you may want to pull the 2 valve covers and inspect the rockers as you are turning the engine over by HAND to make sure they are all going up and down.<br /><br />I recently had an engine with 2 stuck valves that only sat for a year.<br /><br />If you see any that are not moving just spray em with PB Blaster 3 times a day and let em sit for like 3 days, THEN try to tap em down with a piece of wood and hammer to see if they spring back up for you.<br /><br />If all goes well spin the engine like boomyal said using the starter and keep the fingers crossed.<br /><br />Good luck to you!<br />PB

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lot's of good mechanical advice. It's also likely the drain hole, assuming the plug was removed, became plugged with debri and junk. The buildup of water back in the bilge area may have allowed the plywood in the transom to absorb lots of water and became water logged and swell and become soft and in affect loosening the lower bolts holding the transom plate (with the seals) and will allow water to leak around the seals. This can be a show stopper depending on how far the water soaked into the transom plywood.<br /><br />Remove the drain hole plate and see if you can easily jam a screwdriver, or pick up into the plywood. If this is easily penetrated by the sharp object, chanced are it may extend up into the wood.<br /><br />I had this exact problem and avoided a complete transom repair job by using a product from Transomrepair.com. If I knew how to attach photos, I would. This still requires the engine and outdrive to be removed...<br /><br />I have plenty of photos and suggestions if needed.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Change the stern drive impeller before you even think about starting it. If you run it with an old impeller, have fun doing what I've had to do to a boat that sat for years--tear into the whole cooling system looking for rubber impeller parts. I assume you know not to run it without water to the pickup pump. Check the feed hose and bellows under the stern drive bell housing for cracking. Change the stern drive gear lube before running the engine--even in neutral, the drive shaft is turning all the way down to the water pickup pump.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Have present owner pay you to haul to junkyard.<br />Leave the boat there and sell the trailer.<br />Use that cash and other $ to buy a boat.

Texan_Ron

Cadet

first i would like to say thanks for the support and wisdom some gives and to ask if you are not going to offer support please do not condem someone on a tight income p.s. I am working up a web page for photo's the hull is in great shape the outdrive was replaced about 2 years before being stored and the seller is buying new tag and adding alot of extra items i am thinking maybe 1500 max and will be back in water ( boat, motor, trailer plus extras 1500.00 i am thinking 3000-3500 will be tied up into the boat which i feel would be fair what ya'll think?

stormin4

Recruit

I think they are just trying to be funny Texan_Ron but I also think that the voice of experience is trying to tell you that you are in for a nightmare and probably will spend more money in the long run than you would buying a boat in running condition. If you can fix it up, more power to you.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Stormin! That's all that was intended. Just trying to add a little levity into a sometimes exasperating undertaking.<br /><br />No offense meant TR, just that what sometimes looks 'affordable' ends up being a huge time/money pit. And even then the outcome is sometimes less than desireable. <br /><br />There have been any number of people on this forum, with little experience in boats but who obviously have considerable apptitude, who have tackled projects such as you might face. It's just important that you know what you're getting into. And sometimes a little humor helps the medicine go down.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Texan_Ron-<br />NOT trying to be funny, just telling the truth.<br />Odds are you will have way more $$$$ in this project if and when you ever get it finished that you would have if you just chucked the whole idea and bought a running, complete boat. (or at the very least one with minor cosmetic problems like needing reupholstered)<br />As often happens people are blinded by optomism and ignore the harsh glare of reality...I have had my fair share of experiences with projects similar to this (non boating) and they usually ended up biting me in the butt...just as others had predicted and attempted to steer me clear of.<br />I am trying to give you sound advice, but do as you wish....

flashback

Captain

Hey tex, I think it really depends on what you pay for the boat, a couple of years ago I bought a 79 chris 210 scorpion for 1200.00 dollars with trailer, engine was no good.....I replaced the engine for about 1500.00, did a lot of cosmetic work and have a nice boat that may be worth what I have in it, minus the labor.. that's what it's all about ..........enjoy............

bishop12

Seaman Apprentice

lets see some pics. If you have a hull and an engine then you have a good start. Remember to not loose your patience.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Texan_Ron the way I look at a project is to consider my worse case example a little floor work is what I hope for, But it will likely be stringers and transom also, that way if I plan for the worst, then anything I do less is a pleasent surprise, by the way my cousin just completed restoring a 1979 srv210, floors/transom stringer new paint and vinyl and carpet,boat looks brand new and it didn't put him in the poor house either, so if your able to do your own work then your only talking about materials.

Texan_Ron

Cadet

web page here is photo's of the project i picked last week the engine spins freely :) on a good note the hull and inside is stipped and cleaned ready for the new wood then interior<br /><br />the engine is tested at around 140 across all cyclinders,

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't look so bad! As long as your only going to have to do main;ly cosmetic work and change a few parts here and there...it'll be worthwhile! <br /><br />Have you pressure tested your cylinders on your engine?