Lost tire while towing to get tags, help repairing

jabroni1m

Cadet
Ok so I had to tow my new pontoon to the County Clerk for a tag, don't ask why, they suck. On the way home I was luckily only going about 15mph and looked in the rear view and noticed a wheel wobbling, I pulled in the center lane and threw hazards on, got out and went back to find a tire loose and it just pulled off. The tire, rim, hub and all came off. I luckily had a dual axle and limped home about 5 miles but it tore up another tire as the weight of the boat caused the fender thing into the tire and it will need replaced to. My question is, what all do I need to replace? I believe there is the hub, bearings, bearing buddy, tire. Am I missing something? I guess the cotter pin busted and the nut spun off while driving is all I can think of. How hard is this to replace and fix? If its to hard to tell without pictures, I will post some tomorrow.

D

DJ

Re: Lost tire while towing to get tags, help repairing

You need to look at several things.

1. The trailer axle spindle.

2. The hub.

3. Bearings/seals.

I suspect you'll need at least # 2 and 3. Worst case scenario # 1 too.

I'll also say that if you lost one, you'll lose the other three unless you address them now.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

First determine the cause. It was probably due to the fact that whoever serviced the hubs the last time determined that a cotter pin was not necessary, or if one was installed it was not installed correctly. It may have been due to misadjusted preload or a bearing may have seized and spun on the spindle. Hope that didn't happen as that means a new axle. As for repairs, excluding the axle I would start fresh with a new hub and bearing set as it is simply the quickest and easiest for you since it is apparent you are not very familiar with this assembly. The key is to clean the spindle, check bearing numbers or measure the spindle where the two bearings sit and then determine if the spindle is actually damaged. The spindle will very likely have 1-1/16 outer and 1-3/8 inner bearings. The hub will probably not come with the cotter pin, washer and spindle nut so you will need those items also. Most farm stores and department stores that sell boating stuff will have what you need. There are ample instructions here and elsewhere on the web for how to adjust bearing pre-load. When done, disassemble, clean and thoroughly inspect the other three wheels. Replace any bearings if needed and install new seals.

jabroni1m

Cadet

Ok so I cleaned everything up real good and the spindle is ruined. The bottom side of it has so many gashes in it from the wheel flopping that a fingernail run on it catches 20 or 30 times. They are deep gouges too. So I take it that means a whole new axle? I measured it and it is 96 inches long. 2x2 square tubing. So should I try to find a shop in town that can do it and hope it don't cost more than $200 or $300 or ??? or should I try to find one online that has the axle, spindles, and hubs and ubolt it back on myself? I can't seem to find a 2x2 96 inch long square tube axle that comes with everything or do you just have to buy everything separate and do it yourself. I'm leaning toward taking it to someone, but not sure who to try. I will talk to the boat shop in town and see if they do it or know someone who does. Unless you guys say its easy of course.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Without seeing the damage, it's hard to say. Are the areas of the spindle where the inner and outer bearing fit damaged? If those parts of the spindle are still good, you might be able to reuse it. Some scratching on the spindle in the area between the bearings may not matter. Of course, the threads at the outer end of the spindle also need to be in good condition.

If the spindle is damaged to the point where it can't be reused, a good welder can cut off the old spindle and weld a new spindle onto the axle. Don't try doing this yourself if you are not a competent welder.

If you don't want to do that, then buy a new axle and the other parts that you need. Price them at a few places as prices can vary a lot. Depending on your skill level, you may or may not want to do the work yourself.