loss of power

tmoney

Recruit
hey does anybody know why i cant get over 2500 rpm when im in the water but i can when im out of the water. the trim tab above the propeller on my boat had broken off i took it all the way off does this have anything to do with me not being able to plain out and pass 2500 rpms i have a 1968 aqua king with a mercruiser 140 on it with new carb, new plugs new wires new starter and new coil could this tab be my problem please help me<br />you can email me at trestonb209@aol.com

crazyray78

Cadet
Re: loss of power

no thats the cavatation plate and you should not have problem with it not allowing motor to turn rpm's in fact it might actually cause prop to get air n turn more bet you have an engine performance problem<br />start with basics find if firing on all cylinders etc go from there

FatBack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you might have back pressure problem. This comes from old clogged up exhaust. Is the engine missing?

tmoney

Recruit

no it doesnt miss it just bogs out and doesnt go over 2500 rpms i think it may have something to do with the fourth cylinder it doesnt make a difference when i take the spark plug wire off when running

karayj

Chief Petty Officer

Cylinder sounds bad do a compression check <br /><br />Marine Engines Inc <br />41 Pope Rd, Holliston, MA 01746 <br />Phone: (508) 893-9880<br />I bought a head for my 4.3 merc $267.00

wbrannies

Cadet

hey, i have a 120 with a # 1 drive and i am having the same problem. It fills like it takes off in fourth gear and does not pass 25. but i think i have figured it out.. When i bought my boat it did not have the lower uniy on it. Now you know how hard it it is too find one...Well i did, But it was off a inline 6. I think it was a 165. Now someone just told me that the gear ratio is differant for being on that 6 cly. So the guy says that its to much for my 120. He said its like trying to take off in fourh gear....What do you think, could that be the problem, and if it is, can i change the pitch of the prop and fif the problem......<br /> Thaqnks William<br /> Needx4xSpeed@msn.com