Loss of a family pet

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last Friday morning, our 7 year old golden retriever mix passed away from congestive heart failure. We noticed a few weeks ago she was panting more than she should be with no real activity. At first the vet thought she had a respiratory infection. But after she didn't improve, x-rays were done that showed an enlarged heart. She was prescribed some meds to try and help her, but she did not respond and gave up the fight last week. Tough on the family.

We adopted her about a year before our first son was born and she has grown up with him and his younger brother. The kids seem to be OK with it and haven't asked too many hard questions for mommy and daddy. My wife is taking it pretty hard. The "funny" thing is we also have a 14 year old pure bred golden that is still with us, albeit slower these days. Been hard to explain to family and friends that the dog who passed was not the "old" one we would have expected to have died, but the younger one.

Bob

Attachments

• P3010140.JPG
    P3010140.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 0

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Loss of a family pet

i feel your loss. had a purebred collie, and his loab collie mix cousin. 11years old, the collie was crippled, and in agony. broke our hearts.

his cousin just turned 14, and still, for the most part does ok.

my grandmom had a 9 year old sheltie that died of lung cancer...never around smoke in any form. sadly, ya can never tell.

there's a special bond with a dog and family. enjoy the memories.

Tyme2fish

Commander

The loss of a pet is a heartbreak for it's owners.
We all get really attached to our pets and their loss can be very painful.
Sorry for your loss.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Sorry for your families loss. Having loss 2 in the past few months I know how hard it can be.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It's always a sad time when one of your pets passes away. They are truly part of the family.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

First off, I am truly sorry for your loss. Hopefully the wife will feel better soon. I have had multiple pets at all times in my life, and I think the worst case was when my Australian Shepherd, who must have been 18 at the time (he grew up with me) had to be euthanized. He couldn't walk, wouldn't eat, and you could just see in his eyes he was ready. I gotta say, putting down your best friend is the hardest thing to do. Dogs are great companions, especially when they grow up with children, they cling to their side at all times. Well, you could try to get a new puppy. Although you may be mad at first when he chews up shoes, or baptises the floor, it does tend to grow on you. That's what I did, I am dealing with a year old dachshund and man, is he a handful. His favorite hobby is diving in the cat's litter box hunting for treasures. The worst part is walking barefoot and finding those treasures. But he is loveable, affectionate, and is the only one who drinks as much as I do. I don't try to get him drunk, but my sister set her margarita (pretty strong one, too) down and he drank half the glass before we even noticed.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I have a St.Bernard that we have had since he was 6 weeks old, he is 13 years old now.
He has been raised as an inside dog and has been an awesome dog until lately.
Arthritis is getting the best of him.
We have never had a problem with him going potty in the house until the last month.
He is let out repeatedly but yet still poops on the floor at least twice a week.
He doesn't even get up to go he just lays right there and does it.
We have come to the conclusion I need to put him down but keep putting it off ....can't bring myself to it right now.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm so sorry for your loss. Its always a tough thing to deal with as a family. My deepest sympathy.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Aww poor girl, Sorry to hear about that! We have two little ones that always go boating with us, It would crush me too, Sorry to hear it Man.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I feel your pain, i have lost many over the years. but cannot think of loosing Tasha. i've been trying to catch her asleep so i could get this picture, it has taken 5 years to sneak up on her.

she is a rescue, who was afraid of everything, except me. now she has no cares in the world.
004-1.jpg