Losing power steering fluid

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice
I’m a newbie to site and boating.<br />Is this Manufacture still in business? See signature below for specs<br />Is there a repair manual out there that will cover both the engine and the Alpha One drive both? Will I have to buy 2 separate ones? I looked at manuals listed at this site with no results ret. I’ve also looked in the section at this link for help to my problem, http://www.outboardrepairs.com/steering/ <br />Have you seen very many of these power steering pumps on these type of boats go bad? <br />I can’t get to the boat now, stored for the winter.<br />The pump is losing fluid, I know to look for obvious leaks at connection, but beside the pump being bad what other major components may be bad?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Losing power steering fluid

Is there a repair manual out there that will cover both the engine and the Alpha One drive both?
Yes there is, unfortunatly, they are junk.<br /><br />
Will I have to buy 2 separate ones?
Yes, if you buy the OEM manuals. Here is a link to the Merc manuals.<br /><br />Order Merc Manuals <br /><br />
The pump is losing fluid, I know to look for obvious leaks at connection, but beside the pump being bad what other major components may be bad?
I have seen every part of the system go bad. It's possible to list every part in the system as a possiblility of leaking, but it's just a typing exercise. Without finding your own leak you're just guessing.<br /><br />Here is a link to an online OEM service manual for your drive, it includes the section on power steering.<br />Just run your cursor over the cover and index page to find the links to different sections.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf <br /><br />Sorry, there isn't an online manual for your engine that I am aware of.

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don I understand about the leak issue, and why there is no easy solution.<br />Have you ever heard of the Mach 1 SATURN 11 before?<br />Do you think they are still in business?<br />Sorry I’m still working on trying to understand the terminology used for boats.<br />Is the engine called engine, and the upper and lower portions of the outboard called Sterndrive, or is the whole setup called sterndrive because all is located at the stern of the boat?<br />Does this number I got off the engine the one needed to order the manuals for the engine and the Alpha One #0b563989 ?<br />The link you gave me for the manuals seems to only have the owners manual, parts manual engine, and parts manual for the sterndrive available.<br />So does that mean there is not service manual for either, or are they all in one?<br />Link given, https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/litreq/orderForm.jsp?type=mc <br />The other link you gave me seems to say it’s a service manual for Alpha Ones, but then PDF seems to only have spec information. Is that correct?<br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf <br />The Alpha One had written on it the words Alpha one, but then on the two gas pistons on each side had written on it if I remember correctly, Alpha One XD or something else …XD. Does the reference the pistons, or part of the model of Alpha One?<br />The reason I ask is because the link you gave me to the PDF service manual references I think models R, MR, ALPHA ONE, ALPHA ONE SS. So does that link cover the model I may have? Don please don’t think of me as being stupid just not knowledgeable, George

TilliamWe

Banned

George I had a slow leak earlier this summer. Turned out to be the line from the steering "rack" in the back had a hole in it. The whole steering arm moves, and when I turned the wheel all the way one direction, it touched the hose. Eventually 7 years & 600 hours, it wore a hole. Very easy to find & cheap to fix.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a leak on my old boat in the summer, i couldnt find the leak for ages, until i got someone to turn the wheel whilst i inspected system, turned out to be a crack in the hose which connects to the rack, you couldnt see it until you saw the fluid and then flexed the hose, went to a local hydrolics shop and got a replacement made up for £15. good luck

flashback

Captain

G&D, check the fill cap on the pump first, I had mine on cockeyed one time and slung fluid all over.. good luck....

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

Hay thanks for the suggestions. Just a bit of back ground. Boat was just bought used this past Saturday from a boat dealership, as a as is where is. They checked the boat out, and I noticed one of the techs putting some fluid in. I later found out it was not oil but power steering fluid. I don't know how much he put in. Then we took the boat out for a very short run about. Got the boat home and started to wintrize because the site I store my camper, and this boat were going to be closing the gates the following day. I checked other fluids at the time and noticed the ps pump empty, um well I was to busy to investigate at that time, had to get the boat to the camp site, and covered for the winter. I spoke to local tech after getting back home and he said with this type of boat and pump he has really never seen the pump go bad, and that a new one if bad would be around $400. So I'm just trying to plan for that if it is the case or, what other costly major componet it could be. Hose leaks are not going to be as bad as a new pump. What other major componets are involved or to many to mention? That is a lot of fluid to lose on just the short 30 min. trip on the lake. Maybe the leak is of a type that will continue after motor is off and leaked out on the trip home. thankd

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So does that mean there is not service manual for either, or are they all in one?<br />Link given, https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/litreq/orderForm.jsp?type=mc <br />The other link you gave me seems to say it’s a service manual for Alpha Ones, but then PDF seems to only have spec information. Is that correct?<br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf <br />
You have to scroll down the page using the scroll bar. The link to the service manuals shows both engine and sterndrive. Same with the manual. Mover your cursor over the page when it changes to a finger pointing, it indicates a link to the section you are on.<br />The drive manual covers the outdrive, transom shield, trim&tilt, and power steering for your model.<br />The engine manual covers only the engine. (Engine overhaul, ignition, fuel system, electrical systems)<br />The engine and drive is completely different from the boat manufacturer. Even if the manufacturer of the boat closed down, Mercruiser (engine & Drive) are still around.<br /><br />Here is a link to a site that may be of some quick help. You also have to scroll around it and check all the different links to their site.<br /><br /> http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

jayzad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don I was trying to do to many things at once earlier today. Brain problem...LOL

Bondo

Staff member

George,.......<br /><br />If it's loosing P/S fliud,+ it's Not found leaking from the Pump,.... Or the Actuator......It should be Obvious.......<br />It'll be the P/S Cooler..... It can leak Internally,+ you'll see the oil in the water behind the boat..........<br />It's easily removed,+ pressure tested.........