Losing outdrive oil

oldfart

Cadet
I have a '95 5.7 with the Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive. The oil in the reservoir is down about 3\8 " from the full mark. I have a cover on the ourdrive and there is no oil on the cover. I have looked in the Clymer shop manual and the old mention and picture is the wiring to it and the second temp. sender. I had the boat out today and noticed the drop. I let a little oil drain out of the bottom plug to see the color. Not milky or any sign of water. I saved it and will let it sit and check tomorrow. My question, where does the tube from the resevoir enter the lower unit and where is this oil going? At the begining of the season the level was just a tad down after I had changed the oil and used it for the first time. Thanks for any ideas.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Losing outdrive oil

inside the gimbal boot maybe, a worn shaft seal, fishing line behind the prop, shift shaft seal.<br />the oil comes into the drive from a fitting located between the top and middle nut on the right side.when the drive is removed it self-closes and when the drive is installed it opens it.similar to an air chuck fitting without the lock.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Time to pull the drive, drain the gear lube. Then do a pressure and vacuum test on the drive. Make sure you check around the shift shaft. If there is oil in the ujoint bellows, the input shaft seal is leaking for sure.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have seen perfectly good input shaft seals leak oil during use and still pass a pressure/vacuum test. bottom line if you arent getting any water your leg is ok, if the oil really starts to drop get it checked.

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same engine and outdrive, just five years newer. After 40 hours running, the outdrive oil was down about a half inch in the reservoir. I am not to worried, but am going to have the mechanic check everything over when it is winterized.