Losing bearing buddies

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
The trailer on my boat required basically a (hydraulic) brake overhaul due to its age, but now the bearing buddies keep flying off the hubs while at highway speeds. Fortunately, they haven't hit another car yet but obviously this is a problem. I've put a couple of sets on, but I keep losing them (getting to be an expensive habit). They seat correctly and firmly during installation, but they just won't stay put. I've gone to a plastic variation thinking maybe the SS was too heavy and maybe off-center (casusing it to wobble loose at highway speed), but I lost one of those the last time I had it out. Are my hubs worn on the ID or what? Anyone else out there had a similar experience?

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Losing bearing buddies

Did you do the work or did you have someelse do the brakes? Either something put back wrong causing them to fall off or maybe brakes not releasing all the way causing drums to heat up to a point to where B.B. fall out. Its hard to believe that they'll fall out. I put some on my trailer wheels and I was amazed, Had to use a 2 lb. sledge to put them on.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sounds to me like you may have improperly adjusted spindle nuts that are allowing the wheels to shimmy thus shaking them loose. If they worked before, there is no reason they shouldn't stay in place now. Jack up the trailer and try rocking the wheel (not rotating it) side to side. There should be able to feel ever so slight movement indicating just very slight bearing clearance. If the wheel feels real sloppy, the spindle nut is way too loose. Check the lug nuts and spin the wheel to make sure you don't have a bent wheel(s).

BillP

Captain

Nick,<br />I've never lost a BB but that looks like an easy fix.

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info - the pic looks like a good fix, but it doesn't appear that greasing the bearings in that configuration is too easy. I didn't do the work myself - had a reputable trailer shop do it. And yes, it took a bout a 2 lb. sledge to get them in there, which is why I'm so amazed they popped out. I'll check them next time I have it out to see how hot they're getting. Bottom line is that surge-type hydraulic brakes are an outdated pain in the you-know-what...

rwidman

Lieutenant

Not "Bearing Buddies", but the pressed steel caps that fit over spindle lube axles:<br /><br />I got a muffler / tailpipe expander tool to stretch them a little oversized.<br /><br />I cleaned them and the mating surface on the hubs with degreaser.<br /><br />I put the caps in the freezer to temporarily shrink them. They then expand once installed and everything reaches ambient temperature.<br /><br />I reinstalled them using a piece of pipe and a hammer so pressure was applied on the flange and there was less chance of getting them started crooked.<br /><br />Been two years now.

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My mate drilled through the buddy and hub and pt in a s/s self tapper. Buddies will stay on and deters thieves. Drastic solution though.

flashback

Captain

yep, Ive "lost" 3 bearing buddys in the last 12 months while parked :mad: first time it happened I posted on it, and JB said to tap the hub out and install a set screw. I should have listened to him. I would still have the other 2. :D although I do like the hose clamp approach for a quick and easy fix..

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to try to get mine off to replace the seals. When I put them on I had to pound the heck out of them. Any tips on getting them off.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Normally, you tap around the outside (perpendicular to the axle) with a hammer to loosen them, then you can pry them the rest of the way with a screwdriver. I have a 12" length of pipe that fits over them and I tap on the pipe.

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem and used lock tite to solve it clean both matching sides good put a nice thick bead of locktite and drive it home let em dry and you should be golden I lost 3 different one both plastic and steel before I tried this short of replacing the hubs. it works