Loran Availability

HarryHydro

Cadet
Hi Folks:<br /> I was experimenting with a home-made loran antenna and a lowband receiver last night.. I'd like to add this to the boat if it works. Well it didn't at first. Then, around 9PM, it started working. Strong signals! Has anyone heard of Loran Stations shutting down at certain hours? It might have been a problem on my end.. <br />Harry

BillP

Captain
Re: Loran Availability

HarryHydro,<br />Reception on loran does that...weak sometimes and strong others. Weather or whatever does it. Loran units (that I've used) have signal strength, location of antenna and which antennas you are locking on.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I use my Loran C since 1981 and never had a loss of signal. However I on the west coast and we get very few thunder storms. If your near a large structure like a bridge or tall building it can affect the signal some.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Actually they all shut off from time to time, usually just for moments at a time, to correct their clocks to the Master station in whichever chain you are working in. Also, I seem to remember that there is a daily master reset that comes out of the Alaskan Chain every night at 0000Z that coordinates us with the Japaneese LORAN system and that all of the other resets cascade down from that as stations interchange between their role as Master and secondaries.<br /><br />I really have to ask, why did you go to all that trouble? As a long-time LORAN user and a person who hated it when it was all we had and dislikes it even more now I just can't understand why anyone on earth would still be wanting to use one. Oh, and yes, I've got tons of "Good" old LORAN numbers too. So what?