Looted Sausage

Twidget

Commander
Well, I guess all the 'looters' didnt get away. :eek: Sausage story<br /><br />"Family and eyewitnesses have a different story. They say Maten is an innocent woman who had gone to her car to get some sausage to eat but was wrongly handcuffed by tired, frustrated officers who couldn't catch younger looters at a nearby store."

D

DJ

Re: Looted Sausage

Notice how they ignored EVERY aspect of her life other than CHURCH.<br /><br />How convenient and pointed.<br /><br />Lazy reporters plus an agenda does not make news, newsworthy.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sumpin' aint right here. When it doesn't smell right, in my experience, something is missing.<br /><br />DJ, I think the writing is slanted toward her innocence and the church references are used in her favor.

D

DJ

church references are used in her favor
I doubt it, it would be a first. I ain't holding my breath. I've been on the receiving end of that trap for most of my life.<br /><br />It's a lazy reporters trump card.

chugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Notice how they ignored EVERY aspect of her life other than CHURCH.<br /><br />How convenient and pointed.<br /><br />Lazy reporters plus an agenda does not make news, newsworthy.
She's 73, has an 80 year old husband, a duaghter who apparently cares about her, she's diabetic, alegdly has a lifelong record of community service, no crimminal record, the owner of the looted store doesn't want to press charges, and she's a deaconess at a Methodist church. The other important bits of information in the article were:<br /><br />1. A civilian witness (a distance relative) said she wasn't involved.<br />2. A police officer said he saw her do it.<br />3. She allegedly stole $63.50 worth of food which she claims she bought somewhere else.<br />4. She was going to cook it in a parking lot for her husband. Huh?<br /><br />Given what I've read and ignoring the church reference, I think this is justice run amok. On the other hand taking the church reference into account, I still think this is justice run amok. <br /><br />I think it is a news worthy story because it's given me something to think about. Is she guilty? Is she innocent? Why would the police lie? Why was she driving around with a cooler full of food? Does she have a history of cooking in parking lots when her husband gets hungry? Was $63.50 enough of a crime to warrent $50,000 in bail? Could the judge or the policeman ignore even this little amount of theft (assuming it was theft) without risking the moral standing to enforce the law against other looters? Is there more to the story? The reporter doesn't strike me as being lazy unless he made it all up.

D

DJ

chugger,<br /><br />You missed my point entirely.<br /><br />The reference was not needed nor relevant, to the story.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DJ, I think adjectival terms like "God fearing", "church going", "family man" and "community leader" are universally used by journalists to paint a person as innocent of any wrongdoing.<br /><br />I have no comment on the case mentioned in the post.

chugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry DJ. I guess I did miss your point. And I agee with what JB said. In news articles as well as discussions on message boards people will use words that have no value to the story or the opinion being expressed simply because they invoke an emotional response. The tricky part is to filter out the crud and deal with the facts. Of course some people, myself included, get lazy, as you said DJ, and rely to much on the emotional triggers so when you filter out the crap there's no message.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

those words are also used by lawyers to persuade a judge to set a low or no bail, as opposed to $50,000.<br /><br />I know old ladies who, if you describe their church activities, and their health problems, and their husband, and their daughter, and their criminal record (story says she has none), you will have described every aspect of their lives.<br /><br />Police Capt said she was arrested in the store, but the police report says she was observed leaving the scene.<br /><br />why a cooler full of food? its in the story...recommendation of authorities to pack food. History of cooking in parking lots? It's a state of emergency, you do things you don't normally do.<br /><br />Why would the police lie? It's small-town south Louisiana, they will harrass an old black woman and lie to the press. I don't know for a fact that they did in this case, but I strongly believe that there are some who will.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

NO....THEY LET THE THUGS GET AWAY AND CHARGE OLD WOMEN WITH A CRIME....THERE'S EVEN VIDEOS THAT I POSTED HERE SHOWING THE COPS LOOTING....BUT NO, CHARGE AN OLD WOMAN WITH A SAUSAGE!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Sounds like the officers and the judge needed to use better judgement.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

JB Wrote:<br /><br />
DJ, I think adjectival terms like "God fearing", "church going", "family man" and "community leader" are universally used by journalists to paint a person as innocent of any wrongdoing.
I disagree. In the past, those terms may have been exactly what you said.<br /><br />Not today. They are used to pad the story for dirt to follow agenda driven reporting. A sort of: "See we told you so" attitude.<br /><br />I may sound cynical, but I've been there.<br /><br />The difference between me and many is that I expect it.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We are getting so petty here. I don't care what church she did or did not go to. The bottom line to me is if she was caught stealing life items (food, water, etc) then, let her go!<br />If, on the other hand, she was stealing a lcd TV, or jewlery or shooting at coast guard equipment...then throw the book at her.