loose swim platform

loghomer

Seaman
This has got to be a common problem..The screws on our swim platform will no longer hold. I tried the next 2 sizes in screws. Looks like the holes are completely stripped out. Is there a way to refill these holes and drill them out again to be good as new? Anyone have any suggestions??

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: loose swim platform

Can you put a nut on the back of the bolts?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The swim platforms take a lot of stress and screws just don't have the holding power. I suggest that you drill the holes all the way through the transom and use ss bolts with big washers on the back. Use plenty of 3M 5200 to get a good seal & prevent water from getting to the wood in the transom.

crab bait

Captain

if'n you can only use wood screws/lags.. bore out holes to a dowel size.. like 1 inch or 1 1/4... <br /><br />epoxy in dowel rod cut just sly of surface.. fill rest with marine-tex epoxy putty.. redrill for screws..<br /><br />coat srcews with epoxy to seal/prevent rot again..<br /><br />unscrew..<br /><br />recoat..<br /><br />an screw back in...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The correct way to do the job is to drill out a larger hole by at least 2 x the size and fill it with marine epoxy.Then drill new pilot holes in the epoxy.Screw into the epoxy.Dont use screws so big that it cracks the epoxy.If the support mounts flush to the transom you can use 3m 5200 as a sealer for additional hold.Check your support brackets for proper proportioning.If the brackets and the supports are properly proportioned they should not get loose.Charlie

timothyl

Seaman

After drilling, be sure to counter-sink the holes to keep the fibrglass from cracking around the holes.

flashback

Captain

I have to agree with these guys, take the platform off completely! set it on the ground, then take a 2 inch hole saw in a good strong drill motor and cut out the rot in each screw hole, hopfully you will get it all. then fill with epoxy filler like west epoxy and silica, mix into a thick paste and fill the holes completly;... then remount your platform with bolts if you can reach them.......... goodluck;' figured I might edit this post. if you can get to the inside of the transom where the mounting screws/bolts are, then do your drilling from the inside and don't go all the way thru, just go far enough to hit the back side of the outer skin. if you see a little more rot, then chuck an allen wrench into the drill motor and waller the rotted wood out between the two fiberglass skins. this way you can fill even more area if needed. Word of caution! hang on to the drill motor or it will break your wrist!