Loose prop

Bayliner1992

Seaman
1992 bayliner 3.0L alpha one 2nd gen and the question is that my prop moves in and out seems to be loose i checked my freinds boat and his is nice and snug no movement in or out just turns ! mines goes in and out does anyone have a solution i also lost speed i move like 5 miles per hour in full throttle...:mad:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Loose prop

It could be the prop hub,change prop and test,
May also be the coupler ,slipping or damaged
Low drive oil could have destroyed the upper gears,drive oil level?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure the nut is torqued properly?.......
A slight bit of in & out play is normal at the prop shaft......;)

Bayliner1992

Seaman

Oil level i have not checked! I will today, also i can move my boat but only goes 5 mph so i am strolling along no matter how much throttle i give it! my engine revs but i do not pick up any speed. I ordered a new prop and hub i also have a new carb coming in! thank god for the end of the season i am in new york.:redface:

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Is it only the prop moving in/out or also the shaft?
How much is it moving, 1/32, 1/8, 1/4?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Haut, it wouldnt account for 5 mph at wot
Well maybe or maybe not......
Did he lose any rpms?.....
It can be hard to diagnose when a poster doesn't have a good command of English & is vague on what their problem is......
I think you'll agree that a slight amount of play is normal at the propshaft........

It may well be his prop is damaged, & I agree with trying a new prop, but there are a lot of ways to lose 5 mph......:)

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

>my engine revs but i do not pick up any speed.<

That pretty well says it, your prop hub is probably slipping.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Oil level i have not checked! I will today, also i can move my boat but only goes 5 mph so i am strolling along no matter how much throttle i give it! my engine revs but i do not pick up any speed. I ordered a new prop and hub i also have a new carb coming in! thank god for the end of the season i am in new york.:redface:
There ya go, my translation abilities suck.....:redface:
It is most likely a spun hub on your prop, which is very common......;)
I doubt very much if you have coupler damage, or you would over heat......
It is always a good idea to check the lube level in your drive.....
Make sure you use a new gasket every time......;)

Bayliner1992

Seaman

I do not have a over heat issue so i know it's not the coupler, and i didn't know you had to be a english major to post in this forum! if anyone wanted grammer lesson's then they would not have came here for boating questions...
and thanks for your answers Haut.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I do not have a over heat issue so i know it's not the coupler, and i didn't know you had to be a english major to post in this forum! if anyone wanted grammer lesson's then they would not have came here for boating questions...
No, you do not need to be an English major to post here....
Sorry if I offended you.....
Good luck with that new prop......:)

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

No need for sarcasm, Bayliner. Your first post would have been much clearer if you had made the effort to add a bit of punctuation, rather than 1 long rambling sentence.

My first take on your original post was also that your top speed was down by 5 mph.

Daddy5295

Seaman

A new prop should cure your problem, I spun the hub on my old boat and that is exactly what it did. Any rpm 5 mph.