looking to buy a boat with a OMC 5.0 Cobra

Tim45

Cadet
hello, please re direct me if I am in the wrong forum, I'm new to this.

I found a boat, at a boat mechanic, he is asking $4,500.00 and it seems a little high.

Upholstery is destroyed as well at the carpet. But he told me the value was in the 5.0 cobras he let me know people don't like to work on them but it was a "decent" motor...

Pictures are below, motor is not operational at this momment but, he would get it operating flawlessly and give me a 90 day warranty on it.

Let me know of any questions I need to ask.. looking for a good deal on a project boat.. i have a connection for upholstery i can get it done at cost.

jbcurt00

Staff member
For 4500, there are no questions you should ask...

Simply walk away....

A trashed interior and a non-op motor do not suggest a good boat for 500, including a trailer thats towable as is.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
any boat with an OMC drive is going to be past its life, especially with a shot interior, which means that its guaranteed to not been stored indoors, so the hull is probably rotten.

OMC went out of business a long time ago

the boat at most is $500 for the trailer and what ever parts you could sell. as a boat, its probably going to take close to $5k to get it restored to safe and useable. if its a ford 5.0, its worth less

Tim45

Cadet
He's willing to negotiate, and he said he would get the motor operating flawlessly with $500 of his own money...

I was thinking of offer $3,000.00 contingent on the motor "operating flawlessly "

Tim45

Cadet
Point taken. What is considered a good project boat? Any specific year and makes? What are some good motors to look around for?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
stay away from anything OMC for an I/O. stay away from Ford motors. I would also stay away from any boat older than 2000. stay away from bayliners.

any fiberglass boat under $5k is a project. you must assume it will take lots of sweat and cash to make it right.

for a first boat, a good aluminum boat with an outboard until you are used to working on boats.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Still way over priced at 3000.

A good running obsolete motor, imo, isnt worth the 500 he said he'd spend on it, let alone as the basis for a project boat.

Basically it should be free if you haul it off as is. Rip out the junk motor and replace entire driveline w a Mercrusier setup and w all the pending fiberglass work ahead on the OMC rig, re-doing the transom to fit a Merc wont be significantly more time/money.

Lots and lots of itchy, hot and dirty work ahead.

Dig into the resto forum and take a look. Lots of good rehabs of what lies ahead.

Tim45

Cadet
Man iv never been on a forum, but this is amazing I really appreciate all the info, thanks for saving me a big headache.
you guys are the best. Would you recommend me buying a boat off here for a restoration project? I live in Texas, Texas would shipping a boat be worth it?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I suggest you do some reading in the restoration forum. just spend a day reading some of the threads. that will give you a feel for what to look for.

also, in the general boating forum, there is a guide to buying a used boat, suggest you read it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Still way over priced at 3000.

Agreed, by about $3200

A good running obsolete motor, imo, isnt worth the 500 he said he'd spend on it, let alone as the basis for a project boat.

Basically it should be free if you haul it off as is. Rip out the junk motor and replace entire driveline w a Mercrusier setup and w all the pending fiberglass work ahead on the OMC rig, re-doing the transom to fit a Merc wont be significantly more time/money.

OMC Cobra uses the same stern drive cut out as a Mercruiser. It was a marketing ploy to entice disenfranchised Mercruiser owners to easily swap over to a Cobra. I almost did exactly that in 1994. Only thing that stopped me was OMC not offering a closed cooling option. Dodged a bullet!!!

Chris........

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m one of the few here who has long term experience with OMC Cobra. And while mine has held up extremely well with very few repairs needed to the drive system; I would agree with all the comments above. Bad idea because parts can be hard to find and techs to work on them are too. The dog clutch models 1986-1993 were last made 27 years ago! When mine acts up I will replace it with a Volvo SX. It’s a pretty easy swap leaving most of the transom assembly in place.

beyond that mass market boats are just not that well made. You will wind up redoing everything or losing interest and dumping it and losing money. Save up till you can afford a late model used (not used up) boat. Even if you have all the skills needed the time it takes will shock you. I for one will never buy another old boat; once was enough for me. And further, stay away from sterndrives they are a dying market due to increased cost and complexity of the required cat converter exhaust required here in that US. From now on I’d have nothing but outboards in small boats. Look at sales numbers here in the US that is how it’s going...

Last edited:

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About 10 years ago my son bought a then 22 year old boat with an OMC outdrive and the dreaded Ford 2.3L.
It was a hull up restoration. The glass and structural work was time consuming but manageable. The engine and outdrive needed a few NLA parts so we acquired a spare motor and outdrive for parts. It was a good experience, but that's only because we actually enjoyed the work. If you're interested in a boat to go boating in, then as mentioned above, there are way better choices out there. If you're interested in restoring a boat, you can do a lot better than this one

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
that guy is looking for a sucker at $4500 , dont be that sucker

that boat has so many strikes against it , its hard to keep count . Follow the advice above for sure

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Run, young grasshopper, RRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN